How You Can Stick to a Routine During Quarantine

In this time of mass panic and stress, we must make life feel as normal as we can. After spending the first week of my quarantine staying in bed sleeping in, snacking and accomplishing literally nothing, I realized I needed structure. We have no idea how long we are going to be staying in our homes and, although it’s inconvenient, it’s important that we do so. Here are some things that can help you stick to a routine during quarantine! 

Wake up at a reasonable time

I was sleeping in until 1 p.m. during the first week of self-quarantine. I got into this unhealthy cycle where I would go to sleep and wake up way too late. I felt like the day was basically over once I finally got out of bed. I decided that this was unhealthy for me and that I needed to start waking up at a normal time. I have been setting an alarm for 9 a.m. every day and it has improved my mood, helped me sleep better at night, and feel more productive on a daily basis.

Begin coffee mug
Danielle MacInnes

Try to get some kind of physical activity at least once a day

We’re going to go stir crazy if we just sit around all day. Getting some kind of physical activity is a great way to feel like you accomplished something that day. There are endless at-home workout videos on YouTube that can actually make working out kind of fun! If that’s not your cup of tea, you could go on a bike ride or for a walk with your family. It’s hard to get active if it feels like a chore, so don’t force yourself to run every day if you hate running. Do something fun that makes you feel good about yourself! 

Girl doing push up
Pixabay

Find a hobby or something to do that is fun for you

Ever since we were advised to stay home and social distance, the time that could have been spent hanging out with friends or going out and doing things has now been replaced with way too much free time. Finding something fun to do during the day gives you something to get out of bed for. Some of the things my friends have been doing are baking, painting, reading and making TikToks. My sister and I have been revisiting our childhood by playing Super Mario Bros and other Wii games daily. Doing something fun or something to keep you busy every day really helps take your mind off of everything happening in the world.

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels

Routines that tell you exactly when to shower and eat dinner have never worked well for me. But, adding these things to my day has helped me keep some sort of structure and routine in my life. In a time where we may feel that we have no control over what is happening to us, it’s nice to have control over something. We will all get through this if we take it day by day. Make sure to stay updated on COVID-19 and take all necessary precautions. Stay safe!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing & Media major at Florida State University
Her Campus at Florida State University.