Valencia Simmons
Valencia Simmons
Photo by Celine Images

How Valencia Simmons Plans To Foster Diversity in the Media Industry Through an Organization Here at FSU

As the need for more diversity and inclusion in the world and workspace become the center of attention, universities are no different. It is imperative that the organizations that exist on campus allow students from all identities and backgrounds to flourish in their chosen fields. Florida State University is home to over 750 such organizations. I was able to speak with Valencia Simmons, the founder and president of Minorities in Media, a new organization coming to campus that is making sure the voices, skills and representation of minorities do not go unnoticed in the media field. 

Her Campus (HC): For the readers who may not know you, tell us about yourself. 

Valencia Simmons (VS): Hi, my name is Valencia Simmons and I am a junior majoring in Digital Media Productions. I am from Broward County, Florida and I have been involved with media for almost six years. 

HC: What campus involvements do you currently have?

VS: I am currently the Historian for Big Sister Little Sister (BSLS), I assist relations with Kings Dance Team and I am the President/Founder of Minorities in Media.

HC: Describe the purpose of Minorities in Media. 

VS: Our purpose is to facilitate and foster the media community on FSU’s campus and highlight the need for diversity in media careers. There are different lenses and perspectives and very few spaces on campus where you can truly get a diverse bunch of people. I want it to be a space where different people can also gather and hold difficult conversations regarding media. 

HC: What gave you the idea or made you want to start Minorities in Media?

VS: Coming from a media background with skills in graphic design and photography, I really wanted to nurture those skills and meet other people that were like-minded. It was something that I found I was missing, there were clubs that were simply focused on certain skills like photography but then you would not be able to find another organization that focused on graphic design and I wanted to do it all.

HC: What was the process like creating the organization from the ground up to now getting it registered with FSU as a Registered Student Organization (RSO)?

VS: When it comes to the name itself it really just hit me out of the blue one day. So that is like our founding day, the day I came up with the name. I always knew that I wanted to leave a legacy on FSU’s campus, I just didn’t know what it was going to be and then boom, Minorities in Media came along. Then it was time to get jumpstarted on it. It started as a tweet on Twitter. I made a tweet asking who would be interested in things like photography, videography and journalism and received a couple of people who were interested. So, I reached out to those couple of people and let them know that I was going to start the organization and if they wanted to be on the eboard to let me know. From there, the first step was attending a new RSO consultation, then you have to go through a checklist of requirements, like passing the SGA Financial Certification Exam with an 80% or higher, having an advisor and a minimum of ten members, taking the Hazing Prevention 101 Course and the biggest was having a Constitution. 

Valencia Simmons
Photo by Valencia Simmons

HC: With almost six years in the media industry, what can you say is the biggest struggle for minorities? 

VS: There are very few people who are minorities in the media industry because it is so male-dominated. Like you really question yourself and ask where are the black girls who are excelling and where is the LGBT community. So, having to break into such a narrow field and getting your work out is hard.

HC: Where did your involvement in the media industry begin? 

VS: So, I figured out in 8th grade by doing a film project. I was the director, writing scripts and told myself that I like this and wanted to do this for the rest of my life. 

HC: Is this organization just for minorities? 

VS: No and FSU has a non-discrimination clause, so we cannot promote that white people are not allowed to join the organizations and I wouldn’t want to do that. But when it comes to the term minorities, it is referring to individuals who lack representation, so it could mean women, the LGBT community and other individuals we don’t get to see on TV or behind the camera. 

HC: What can individuals expect to gain from joining this organization? 

VS: Obviously being able to meet people from different walks of life. People who don’t have experience but want to learn can also expect one-on-one training sessions that teach the basics in areas like photography, graphic design, journalism, animations and anything media related. 

HC: Final question, how can individuals get involved, what is the application process like are you accepting individuals now?

VS: Right now, I am trying to get the eboard together, but in the spring term we will be rolling out strong and accepting members. Anybody is welcome to apply. All that we ask is to pay your dues and be active. 

Keep up with Minorities in Media on Instagram @mim_fsu and you can catch Valencia Simmons with all your media needs @valencias_visuals.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

I am excited to escape the perception of what it means to be ordinary in order to be creative and innovative!
Her Campus at Florida State University.