These Local Events Will Make Tallahassee Feel Like Home for the Holidays

It’s the holiday season and whatever holidays you’re celebrating, I hope it’s an amazing time for you and your family! I know I love being able to head home after finals and see my family and friends back home. My drive home is only about four hours or so, which isn’t too bad. Unfortunately, not every student at Florida State has a quick drive home; FSU has students from all over the world! Because of this, some students don’t get to go home for the holidays.

Tallahassee may not be home, but it can easily be made into a temporary home, especially for the holiday season. There are so many exciting and fun-filled seasonal events in Tallahassee that students can go to. These events may help you find the holiday cheer you’re missing!

On Campus

Club Downunder will host their annual Winter Wonderland on Dec. 1. The festival starts at 7 p.m. and ends at 10 p.m. on Union Green. Students can play carnival games and take photo booth pictures!

Need to get in a good study session before finals? The Askew Student Life Center will host “Cocoa Cookies and Cram” on Dec. 7 starting at 5 p.m. The Student Life Center will have yummy hot cocoa and cookies for students.

Around Tallahassee

Going to see the Christmas lights at Dorothy B. Oven Park is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit! The park is located on Thomasville Road; it’s about a 10-minute drive from campus. You’re able to stay in your car and drive through the colorful lights. The lights go through Jan.1 and are free to drive through. The lights are open from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on weekdays. On weekends, they’re open from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.

If you like Christmas music but also rock music, you’re in luck. The two music genres get combined for the Christmas Rock Festival on Dec. 9 which starts at 5 p.m. and ends at 11:30 p.m. Tickets for the event are $10.

If you don’t mind a drive

Thomasville, Georgia is about a 40-minute drive from FSU’s campus. The city of Thomasville has countless vendors and shops that take part in the holiday season. There’s a list of dates and event times that can be found on their website. There’s local shopping and the downtown area is done up with Christmas decorations. It’s a very cute, quaint place to also get some holiday shopping done.

For the 21+ Students

Township in Collegetown has a Santa Claus event for Townie Card Holders. It’s on Dec. 6 and starts at 9 p.m. You’re allowed to bring up to three guests, so if your friends don’t have a Townie card, they’re in luck! There will be drink specials and students flaunting their ugliest Christmas sweaters.

Painting With A Twist has an event called Cheers to Christmas on Dec. 8 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. If you haven’t been to Painting With A Twist before, you drink wine or alcoholic beverages while you paint in a group setting with an instructor (if you consume alcohol, you must be 21 and up). 16 and older can attend the event as well, but alcohol will not be served. The event price is $39 per person.

If you feel like staying inside

No one said you have to go out and about to be filled with holiday cheer! You can stay in your apartment and make your favorite holiday dish and be just as happy! Watch a movie that you and your family or friends love during this season. If you have other friends staying in Tallahassee during the holidays, get together and do something that brings happiness to each of you! In my past experiences, I would also call or FaceTime my family. If you’re not able to make it home for the holidays, tell your family how much you love them.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Kaitlyn is a media and communication studies student from Florida State University. She is also pursuing a minor in journalism from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. This is Kaitlyn's first semester at Her Campus FSU! Kaitlyn is interning at Tallahassee Woman Magazine. She previously interned for News4Jax in Jacksonville, Florida. Kaitlyn's career goal is to become a broadcast journalist. She enjoys being able to tell stories from the local community. Kaitlyn grew up in Sarasota, Florida, and Melbourne, Florida. Kaitlyn loves thrifting, fashion, working out, and going on trips with her family and friends.