How to Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month in Tallahassee

October is an exciting month full of tailgates, celebrations, and Halloween movie marathons. With all that, it’s easy to forget that October is about a lot more than just pumpkin patches. National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is about bringing together communities with the goal of creating awareness about an illness that affects many women and families every day. Every year, the city of Tallahassee hosts several events in support of this cause that are both fun and rewarding.

One way Tallahassee is showing its support is by giving the entire city a pink makeover. From buildings to buses, everything will be splashed with this bright color in order to help raise awareness for breast cancer all month long. In case that’s not enough pink for you, there’s also the #GoPinkLemonade movement. Just as the name implies, they will be placing pink lemonade stands all around the city. Proceeds will be going towards the Joanna Francis Living Well Foundation for non-medical resources for those with breast cancer. You can find a list of locations here. Summer might be over, but with this Florida heat pink lemonade is always in season.

Local businesses are hosting some of their events as well. Between the days of October 22nd and 23rd Madison Social will be hosting, “Go Pink for a Grapefruit Mimosa,” a fundraising event to help raise money for the American Cancer Society. Getting involved is both fun and easy; all you have to do is purchase a t-shirt here and pick it up on one of these selected days. In return, you’ll receive a free grapefruit mimosa and help raise awareness for a worthy cause. You can preorder until October 13th. 

Courtesy: Madison Social

Other local involvement opportunities include Golden Lighting. This local lighting company is dedicating this month to supporting breast cancer awareness by donating five percent of all proceeds to the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation. Along with this, they are featuring over 30 new products all in our favorite color this month – pink.

If you prefer to go out and be physically involved, the city of Tallahassee will be hosting, “Making Strikes Against Breast Cancer,” an annual walk at Cascades Park on Sunday, October 23. You can sign up and donate here. This event is a great way to enjoy our Sunday, while still showing support for your community.

Don’t let an opportunity to get involved this month pass you by. Whether it’s from buying a t-shirt or sipping on a nice pink lemonade on a hot day, there are endless ways to show your support right here in Tallahassee. Most local organizations and businesses will be teaming together this month so find the one that’s right for you and participate!

If you would prefer to make a donation, here are a few options:

National Breast Cancer Foundation

Susan G. Komen

American Breast Cancer Foundation

American Cancer Society

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.