Just like with everything else quarantine, you’re not in Club Stroz or at your favorite study spot on campus currently studying for your finals. If you’re like me, then you’re also not in Tallahassee at all during finals week. When I came home to be around my family, I had a difficult time readjusting to doing my online classes in my old room. When I usually came home it was during school breaks and I was hardly doing any schoolwork. But now this time it was different. Instead of laying down on my bed and doing nothing, I now had to use the desk in my room and study. Here are some tips on how to make the most of studying while being back home around your family.

Mentally Prepare Yourself

Being back home versus not being in Tallahassee is a whole different type of vibe. It’s okay if you find yourself struggling to readjust to your environment. Finding healthy ways to cope helps to ease off the stress. Activities like journaling and talking to your friends helps to figure out how you’re feeling and make sense of it. Once doing that, find the positives of your current situation because it’s all about perspective. You may not be where you usually are during finals week, but you are at a place where you have your family to support you during these uncertain times.

Create Boundaries

We’ve all seen the memes and videos of students doing their classes on Zoom and one of their family members walking into their room during the session. While that may be funny, it’s distracting you from the task at hand. Communicate to your family members that you’re studying for your finals. Create boundaries of what you want and don’t want your family members to do while you’re studying. It’s hard to focus on study materials when your sibling is asking if you can help them with something. If you can’t help them at the moment, communicate that and let them know when you’re available. Keep in mind that even though you might get annoyed with a family member bothering you, they’re not used to having you home for this extended amount of time from college. They’re readjusting just as you are, so communicate your boundaries. 

You\'ve got this letterboard
Emma Matthews DIgital Content Production

Find a Spot in Your House

Think about places in your house that you find yourself at ease and can focus. It may be your room, the dining table or your backyard. Once you find the spot, just up the area like you normally would. For example, if you usually have flashcards, sticky notes and your hydro flask around you when you study, then set up the area with those things around you. I usually have my headphones, my hydro flask and different colored pens that I use for my planner around me. This helps with making yourself comfortable with your new study spot. 

Tweak Your Routine

Just like back in Tallahassee you had a set routine of how you would go about studying, keep that same routine but tweak it. For example, if you usually study in the Strozier library and go outside to take a study break, then you can still do that when you’re at home. Instead of going outside and looking out at the view of Landis Green, go outside to your backyard or your front porch and observe the scenery there. If you usually order from your favorite Tallahassee restaurant to treat yourself when completing a study task, then search for a restaurant that serves the same meal in your local hometown and see if they do delivery. You can also attempt to make the meal yourself at home. Whatever your usual study routine is, don’t abandon it completely. Think of ways you can accommodate your needs and still keep them.

Studying for finals week can be tough, but don’t stress yourself out. Keep a positive attitude and take it day by day. We’re living during a time when things are uncertain, but if there’s one thing you can take control of, it’s your grades and how you want to end the semester. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Musammat Uddin is a senior hailing from West Palm Beach, FL. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Religion. When she isn't in class or working, you will find her running around campus with involvements in Student Government Association, LADIES, Women Student Union, and South Asian Students' Association. When she isn't a busy bee, you will find her out with her friends or in a coffee shop.
Her Campus at Florida State University.