How To Stay Spirited Despite a Losing Streak

The Florida State football team is off to a rocky start this 2019 season. With a 2-2 win-loss record, there’s much uncertainty over whether the team will secure a Bowl game. Win or lose, however, let’s keep the spirit going with these five tips: 

1. Embrace Tailgate Season

Whether or not Florida State is winning this football season, the Seminoles never lose a good tailgate season. As College Magazine states, “Football season at Florida State trumps all other universities.” Kick open your trunks, set up your tents, blast your stereo, and invite your friends and families to the front of Doak Campbell Stadium. It’s game day!

Courtesy: Capital Gazette

2. It’s Time to Get Creative

For most people (especially those of us who don’t understand how the game of football works), dressing up is the best part. While you do not have to lather your entire body in glitter like the famous Garnett and Gold Boys, you can easily get creative. The steps are simple: First, purchase an FSU t-shirt. Next, get your favorite friend group together. Finally, grab a pair of scissors and cut away. Basic t-shirts can be transformed into cropped, tube or halter tops. A convenient alternative is to purchase an FSU t-shirt at the local Barefoot store in College Town where they will alter the top to your stylistic preferences. As seas of garnet and gold pack the Doak Campbell Stadium on game days, make sure that you are in the spirit of game day too!

Courtesy: Pinterest

3. Stick Around for Marching Chief’s Half Time Performance

Even if the first half of the football games do not look very promising for the Seminoles, stick around for half time because the world-renowned Florida State University Marching Chiefs never disappoint. Over 400 members in the marching band transform the playing field into their very own performance stage. The ensemble is comprised of wind instruments, baton twirlers and flag throwers. They perform a variety of contemporary pop songs with choreographed movements. Throughout the game, you may also hear them play the FSU fight song every time a touchdown is scored. As the crowd swings their right arms back and forth in synchronization, everyone suddenly remembers how exhilarating it feels to be a Florida State Seminole. No matter the ending – bitter or sweet – the Marching Chiefs have our backs through it all. 

Courtesy: Tallahassee Democrat

4. Attend Other Sporting Events

FSU is not only widely recognized for football, but also soccer, volleyball and basketball. The Seminole woman’s soccer team won the 2018 ACC Championship. It marked the sixth ACC Championship in program history, and all six have come in the last eight years. The Seminoles ended the season ranked No. 1 in the nation in both the United Soccer Coaches and the Top-Drawer-Soccer polls. Visit the Seminoles website to view the 2019 and 2020 game schedule. Come out and show your support!

Courtesy: Fanbuzz

5. Take Pride in Being #18 Public University in America

A 2020 U.S News report has recently ranked Florida State the number 18th best public school in the nation. FSU jumped eight spots in national public universities in the past year, making it the largest single-year increase in the university’s history. “Though a number does not define FSU’s success, it is validation of the great work that goes on here with our faculty and students,” FSU President John Thrasher stated.

Courtesy: Florida State University News

Although the Florida State Seminole football team didn’t start the season off to a great start, the Seminole fans are still in good spirits. Whether we win or lose this season, the Noles will be chanting the war chant as part of a Florida State tradition no matter what.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter, and Pinterest!

Florida State Freshman International Relations Major Occasional writer, natural hair enthusiast & rice lover Black Lives Matter
Her Campus at Florida State University.