How to Spend Valentine’s Day on a Budget

To my fellow collegiettes, it is almost that time of the year again. Some of us will be sobbing into our pillows, binge watching our favorite Netflix series and eating a tub of ice cream while trying to understand why we have not found our prince charming yet! Or, on the flip side, we’ll be enjoying that quality time with our significant other. For those sobbing into the pillows, no need to fret because, girl, you get to save those coins for that perfect retail therapy later on in the week and, if you are broke like most college students, then at least you don’t have to worry about spending money on a loved one. For the broke college students in a relationship, there are definitely alternatives to spending $100 on dinner, a movie, flowers and a gift. Here are a couple of things you can do with your significant other without spending your pretty little pennies while still having a romantic night.

Stay in and Have a Romantic Dinner

Those Tasty recipes are all the new hype now! While scrolling down Facebook, you can pick out one of those recipes, hit up your local supermarket and get to experimenting. You’ll save more money buying ingredients than buying an entrée. You can either do it alone as a surprise for your boo or together to make it like a fun cooking class. You can also set the ambiance by adding décor to the dining table or your room. This allows you to have pure quality time with your significant other without the distractions of a restaurant. Plus, this is the perfect Valentine’s date for intimacy.

Courtesy: Social Moms

Make Something Special (and Inexpensive)

Valentine’s Day is all about enjoying your significant other, and the materialistic things do not matter if you truly have love for that other person. It’s great to make something of sentimental value whether it is a simple canvas with a cute picture of you and your boo, a cute scrapbook mapping out the relationship from past to present or a music mix with their favorite songs on it. You can also make trinkets to show how much you love them, such as balloons with note cards expressing your deep feelings. I’m pretty sure they will appreciate that more than some expensive date. Not to mention, it’s the sincerest way to tell your significant other you love them.

Be Adventurous

It’s ideal to get some fresh air and not be cooped up inside on V-day. You and your boo can try getting out of your comfort zone together and enjoying the outdoors. You guys can go for a bike ride, have a picnic, go to a museum, go skating or go for a hike. It will give you guys time to exercise your mind and to have an intimate time together. It’s cheap, and it’s healthy for your mind.  This is perfect way to enjoy the special day and express to your boo how special they are to you!

Valentine’s Day is meant to express the gratitude toward your significant other; therefore, materialistic stuff shouldn’t matter. It’s the gesture that counts, so no need to break your pockets.

Food, Traveling, and Fashion!
Her Campus at Florida State University.