Released earlier this September, the new Apple update allows users to truly make the iPhone their own. Besides technical improvements, most of which would go right over many of our heads, the major change has been through the “shortcuts” feature. There are plenty of neat shortcuts for you to explore with, but we are just going to focus on the ones that allow us to get those aesthetically pleasing home screens that have filled social media since the iOS drop.

I was initially hesitant to download the update. For those who still have fought the urge to download TikTok, one of the recent trends on the app has been to show off your elaborately decorated iOS14 home screen. Many users attributed their viral home screens to hours of work to perfectly create. Is it worth the time spent to create a home screen specialized to your preference? Considering the number of times I open my phone in a day, I would argue yes!

iOS14 Home Screen
Original photo by Julia Caterson

So, where to start? It can be overwhelming, no doubt. The first thing you are going to have to do is decide which apps are essential to keep on your home screen. Seriously, this whole process is going to be easiest if you have the least number of apps possible to work with. For me, this meant the Apple apps I use daily, social media platforms and some university-specific applications. This doesn’t mean deleting the apps you don’t want on your immediate home screen, however! Thanks to the handy iOS update, you can now move your lesser-used applications to your ‘app library’ which resides just after your last home screen page.

Now that we have cleared up some space, we get to the fun part. Pick your aesthetic! I went with a neutral theme with some light pinks, completely inspired by some of my favorite Pinterest boards. If you need some help with inspiration check out your own Pinterest, or else just search ‘iOS14’ on TikTok and take a look at some of those viral creations. Download photos from Pinterest or from your own library that fit this aesthetic. These will be the photos you use as your app covers.

Next up, the tedious part. All I can say is turn up some tunes and grind this part out. What you’re going to want to do is search up the ‘shortcuts’ application. Within the app, hit the plus button at the top right corner. Click ‘add action’. From there, search ‘open app’. When prompted, choose your first app. Let’s say this app is Instagram, so Instagram has been selected and at the top right under ‘next’ you’re going to see a circle with three dots in it… click that. Name your shortcut name whatever app you are adding at that moment, in this case, ‘Instagram.’ Then, hit add to home screen. Again, rename the app whatever you want to appear on your home screen, and change the icon to one of those fabulous aesthetic photos you had downloaded. Once you return to your home screen you should see the new “Instagram” application, you can go ahead and send the original application to your app library. From there, repeat the steps with the remaining apps you want to appear on your home screen! Rearrange as your aesthetically pleasing heart desires.

If you want to spice it up further, download “Widgetsmith” from the app store, and add all sorts of clocks or photos. All you have to do is design the widget within the app. Then press and hold on any existing app to edit your home screen, hitting the plus button on the top left. Lastly, search ‘widget smith’ and insert the small, medium or large icon!

Yes, it takes some time to do. And, yes, it takes some time getting used to what app is what. But, before you know it, your finger will go to that icon of Harry Styles to get to the Music app without thinking twice, and it will be so worth it, because, Harry Styles.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Julia is a fourth-year student at FSU majoring in editing, writing, and media. When she isn't writing or studying, you could probably find her somewhere drinking a lot of coffee and watching some good movies.
Her Campus at Florida State University.