Most of us know and love the amazing movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. But here’s how you don’t lose a guy in 10 days.

These are 10 things you can practice every day to ensure your relationship stays alive without losing that spunk that’s there in the beginning few months during the honeymoon phase.

1. Don’t completely drop everything that’s going on in your life to be in his.

This is essential, especially in those first few days. Don’t be on standby mode waiting around for him to contact you. Never lose yourself in a relationship. You can love your significant other fiercely without giving up your own desires or dreams.

2. Don’t get clingy or needy.

It’s okay for you to want to be with your significant other a good portion of the time. Nothing is wrong with that; however, being glued at the hip with your significant other can endanger your relationship with them especially in the beginning stages of your relationship.

When you’re clingy in a relationship, you tend to get a little too dependent on your partner for your happiness. You should never rely on anyone else besides yourself for happiness. Don’t make someone else the center of your universe. You don’t want to overwhelm your significant other with your constant looming presence just hanging around them around every corner. It can get kind of creepy and be a major turnoff.

3. Don’t try and change him!

I’m going to repeat this again. Don’t try to change him. You wouldn’t want someone to change you. Give your S.O. the same respect. Everyone deserves to be themselves and be loved for exactly who they are.

4. Treat him like you want him to treat you. Treat him like you’re still chasing him.

This is self-explanatory. You wouldn’t want to be treated like a random find, so don’t treat your significant other as if they are one.

5. Space.

Courtesy: Unsplash

It is very important that in a relationship you both take time for yourselves. You can still be your own individual self while also maintaining interest in your significant other. You don’t want it to get to the point in the relationship where you hate one another and can’t stand spending time together. Take the space to be yourself.

6. Trust.

Trust is a must you need trust in order for anything in your relationship to work. You don’t want to always have to feel as though you need to look over your significant other’s shoulders, and they don’t want to have to do that either.

7. Communication.

A relationship is a two-way emotional connection between your significant other and yourself. This is a joint effort, you can’t just have those surface everyday conversations about whatever, you need to have in-depth conversations with your significant other, be open and honest. Pay attention to those nonverbal signals, and pay attention to how your words are being received and how your significant other is reacting to those words.

8. Listen.

You have to listen to be able to hear your significant other’s thoughts and feelings. Listening is your way to responding to the needs of your significant other, but in order to do this, you need to sit back, listen and process everything that they are telling you. You want to be able to disclose intimate things with your partner; in order for that to work, you need to listen to your significant other like you would want them to listen to you.

9. Don’t overthink.

Overthinking is a behavior triggered by self-consciousness. Most of the time, it’s someone constantly thinking until they come to horrible conclusions. Overthinking leads to confusion and can make you make poor decisions, like breaking up with your significant other because you suspect them of something, but you don’t have any evidence. That’s like convicting someone of a crime blindly, without evidence; you shouldn’t do that when it comes to your own relationship.

10. Let them know how you feel about them.

Don’t conceal your feelings. Whether you have a positive feeling or a negative feeling, you need to tell them. Don’t hold your tongue, share information with one another. Love is all about acceptance. If you can’t be yourself, then you can’t have a real relationship. Remove the mask, it’s just your significant other and yourself, be honest with one another. This creates an environment where you both can be true to yourselves and one another.

The key to making this work is to work on yourself first. Once you can do all these things within yourself, it makes it easier for you to indulge in these with a significant other.

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.