timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How My Part Time Job Made Me a Better Student

Moving to Tallahassee for school was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Although, it was a challenge too because I was not financially prepared. Job hunting was a process that I felt would never end until I walked into a preschool called Kinderschool. Kinderschool is a place that I am forever grateful for because not only does it allow me to work with children of all ages but they also have an amazing staff to learn from and they work around my school schedule. This job has provided to me more than just income, it has it has given me with so many other benefits from improving my academics and listening skills to my mental health and creativity. 

Having a part-time job, like any other job requires being punctual and working on time management skills. My attendance at work has helped me in becoming a better student because I find myself being on time for class and preparing my assignments promptly on time. Working with children is a joy to me because every day is a different day and being attentive to these babies has taught me great listening skills. I have definitely gained stronger listening and communication skills through these kids because I have to make eye contact and be at their level when speaking so they can understand what I’m saying. This part of the job relates to school because it has changed the way I take notes and I find myself focusing more on what my professors are saying. 

Courtesy: Unsplash

As a college student, my health is one thing that I make sure is taken care of. I try to wash my hands as much as I can and eat a healthy meal every day. Working as a floater at Kinderschool is a job that requires everyone to make sure everything is sanitized; health is one of the most important roles as a student and worker. Teaching children about healthy habits allows me to also brush up in this field. 

Working at Kinderschool not only allows me to love these children and they also love on me, and I guarantee you that this has helped me in my mental health. Mental health is known to be a culprit that affects college students, but this job has provided me with the help I didn’t know I needed, it has allowed me to be more open about what I feel and has helped me to be out of my house and meet other people.

Courtesy: Unsplash

When I began working, I found myself enjoying every moment that I had with these children and two years later I can’t imagine myself working anywhere else in Tallahassee. Kinderschool has opened new doors for me in my academics like being creative, joining organizations that interest me and being open to thinking about applying for graduate school. A job can seem to be stressful for some people but if you find a place that makes you become a better version of yourself it’s a win. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

School:Florida State University Year: Senior Major: Editing, Writing, and Media Learning to write has been one journey that will never end for me.
Her Campus at Florida State University.