How to Make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Your New Favorite Halloween Treat

While I was growing up, my family celebrated many Halloween traditions. Trick-or-treating was a must every year, and so was watching all of the Halloweentown movies (this tradition remains today). However, when I think of Halloween, the first thing that comes to mind are my mom’s famous pumpkin seeds. I wait all year long for those things, so I wanted to pass along the recipe in hopes that you’ll all become as addicted as I am!

Pumpkin seeds are very easy to make and there are only a couple of things you’ll need to get started:

• Pumpkin of your choosing (be sure to pick a good one because you can always turn it into a jack-o-lantern once you’re done cooking the seeds!)
  • Knife
  • Spoon (unless you’re able to scoop out the insides of your pumpkin without getting too grossed out)
  • Baking Sheet
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt

Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients and supplies, you’re ready to get started!

1. With a knife, cut off the top of your pumpkin and using either your hands or a spoon, take out the insides of your pumpkin and place them into a bowl or colander

2. Rinse the pumpkin guts off of the seeds as much as you can.

3. Using a paper towel, dry the seeds as much as possible. Be careful, the seeds get very slippery! I definitely lost a few in the process.

4. Place all of the seeds onto a baking sheet.

5. Drizzle olive oil over the seeds and top them with salt.

6. Place into a preheated 250 degree oven.

7. Cook for one hour or until crunchy.

8. Let seeds cool.

9. Add more salt to taste.

10. Place in an air tight container so that you can enjoy them throughout the week.

I hope you all enjoy this salty snack as much as I do, and Happy Halloween!

Photos courtesy: Rebecca Rodgers

Hello! I am a junior studying retail merchandising and product development with a minor in business.
Her Campus at Florida State University.