If you’re like me, the cold weather makes it almost impossible to get out of bed. Waking up for class or going out at night gets harder and harder to do when it’s less than fifty degrees outside. The only thing that could make your fifteen-minute walk to class in the morning or your night out at Pots worse is if you aren’t dressed to take on the cold. Being from South Florida, I have found that my wardrobe often falls short of winter-appropriate clothing.

Taking on a winter that is colder than sixty degrees is something brand new for me. It was, admittedly, one of the hardest parts about making the transition to school away from home. However, now that I have had a couple months of experience in the cold under my belt, I’ve learned a couple of tricks that have made the weather a little more bearable.

A cute outfit has the ability to make a girl feel ten times more confident and ready to take on the day. Finding such an outfit can pose a bit of a challenge during the winter, when all you really want to do is throw on a hoodie, some fuzzy socks, curl up in bed, and watch Netflix all day. That is unless you have a few staple pieces in your closet that are ready to go at all times.           

One essential item that every Collegiette needs to take on the Tallahassee cold is a heavy cardigan. A cute cardigan in a neutral color such as grey, navy, or cream, is comfortable, easy to wear, and goes with just about anything. Brandy Melville, Urban Outfitters, and Nasty Gal carry tons of trendy cardigans and sweaters that are perfect for going to class or a casual night out. Coupled with a long sleeve shirt, a pair of jeans, and boots, and the fifty-degree weather will have nothing on you!

Source: Brandymelville.com

Riding boots are also a must-have during this time of the year. A solid brown or dark black pair are perfect to wear with jeans or leggings. If you’re feeling brave, you can even wear them with long socks and shorts or a dress. When you’re shopping for riding boots it’s important to find the perfect pair that you will love for years to come. Because they aren’t going out of style any time soon, they are definitely an investment piece: with the perfect pair you’ll be able to pull them out every time that winter rolls around. 

Source: toryburch.com

A good pair of jeans can also make your mornings a lot easier. A classic, well-fitting dark blue jean can be thrown on with basically anything in your closet: a jacket, an oversized sweater, a long sleeve tee, a cardigan, etc. You can also add more style to your outfit by wearing a cute pair of boyfriend jeans (which are also a huge plus in the comfort department).

A quality North Face jacket, a cute knit scarf, tights, knee-high socks, rain boots, and a good pair of sunglasses are also great items to have. These pieces will help get you through the rainy, sunny, cold, or warm days of Tallahassee’s winter, and you’ll look great while doing it!

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.