Career

How to Land the Perfect Summer Internship or Job

With finals week being a few weeks away, you might be feeling the stress of finding a summer internship or job. Everything from trying to find the perfect job in the right location to emailing companies and being interviewed can be overwhelming. If you’re not sure where to start or how to decide between multiple offers, I’ve got you covered!

Step 1: Have a professional outfit ready

Regardless of where you are applying to, you should always have at least one business professional outfit ready for any interview. Even though some companies might say that they do not require professional dress for day-to-day work, you should still be dressed to impress at the interview. An interview is usually your first interaction with a recruiter so you want to make sure you make a good impression by being as professional as possible!

Courtesy: Spice4Life

Step 2: Research your companies

I cannot stress this enough! It is so important that you have thoroughly looked into the companies you are applying to. For one, this will help you get a feel for what kind of company they are and if their core values align with yours. Knowing more about the company you’re interested in will also help you in your interview because it will be obvious you’re truly interested in them. Trust me, you don’t want to work in a company that doesn’t share similar values to you or that you don’t know much about. The more you know about them, the better your chances of working for them!

Step 3: Prepare for your interview

It might seem a little bazaar to study or practice for an interview, but it can be incredibly helpful. Thankfully for us, FSU offers mock interviews in the Career Center! These mock interviews are completely free and are tailored to either your occupational area or industry. By doing a mock interview before your actual interview, you’ll expose yourself to the nerves you might experience and will be more prepared to combat them during the real thing. You’ll also get insight into what questions you might be asked during your actual interview!

Step 4: Get your resume critiqued again, and again, and again!

A resume is never truly finished considering that there’s always room for improvement, and that’s a good thing! If you want to make sure you have the best resume possible, get it looked at and critiqued by multiple people. FSU’s Dunlap Success Center is a great on-campus resource for getting your resume or cover letter looked at by a professional. Also, keep in mind that your resume can be tailored to the internship/job you are applying for so make sure to have fun with it when you can.

Courtesy: Creative Market

Step 5: Have questions prepared

Whether you’re meeting a recruiter at an involvement fair or you’re interviewing for a position, make sure you have questions prepared! Sometimes we get too overwhelmed with all the information being given to us while talking to a possible future employer. In order to ensure that you are going to get the most out of your internship/job, make sure to ask the right questions. It’s never inappropriate to ask about possible work hours and locations so make sure you get all that info before you commit to a job!

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.