yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

How to Keep Your Pets Safe This Halloween

Halloween is an amazing time of year filled with candy, ghost stories, and pumpkins galore. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in all the spooky fun, that we forget about our furry friends. Here are some tips on how to keep your pets safe this Halloween so all you have to worry about is whether or not they’ll eat their costumes.

1. Don’t Give Your Pet Candy

Don’t be fooled by the puppy dog eyes, no matter how much they beg, stay away from giving your pets candy. Giving them candy could lead to chocolate poisoning, which can result in seizures, vomiting, and increased heart rate. Chocolate is known to be poisonous to dogs and cats because of the artificial sweetener, xylitol, found in some candies.  I say it’s best not to take the risk and make sure you put your candy bag far away from your pet’s reach. If you want to give your dog a treat, while still staying festive, here are some fun Halloween themed dog treats.

2. Keep Your Pets Inside

Your pet might be tempted to run outside every time someone rings the doorbell. Keep them in a separate room or away from the front door to prevent any unwanted escapes. Also, cat owners beware. Many places do not adopt black cats because a few cruel people are known to pull pranks on them. Make sure your black cat is safe and secure this Halloween and away from horrible pranksters.

Courtsey: imgur

3. Make Sure Your Pet Has Their ID Too!

In case of an emergency, make sure your dog or cat has the proper identification on their collar. That way, if they happen to escape, the likelihood of them being found and returned is increased. Make sure their tag is up to date with your correct phone number and address as well. Halloween can be scary for your pets, you don’t want them to get lost.

4. Make Sure Decorations Are Out of Reach

Curious puppies and kittens might knock over your decorations, which can be dangerous, especially around open flames like those in jack-o-lanterns. Keep them out of their reach, along with electric and battery-operated decorations, especially if you know your little guy tends to chew. We wouldn’t want them to chew on wires!  Also, keep an eye on glow sticks. While the chemical in glow sticks is nontoxic, it can leave your companion with an upset stomach if they get a hold of it. Make sure they are in your hands and not in their paws.

5. Don’t Force Them into Costumes

As adorable pet Halloween costumes are, don’t force your pet into wearing one. If you do, this can stress your pet out, leading to a horrible night. If they like wearing costumes, make sure it doesn’t inhibit their vision, movement, or their ability to bark or meow. At the end of the night, it should be a fun experience for everyone. If everything works out, make sure to take a bunch of pictures of your cute little pumpkin, football player, or vampire and post it all over Instagram so everyone can see your furry friend in action. Hope you all stay safe and have a Happy Halloween!

Gaby is an FSU alumna who majored in Creative Writing and minored in Communications and Psychology. She also enjoys iced coffee, rose-scented candles, and short stories.
Her Campus at Florida State University.