Wellness

How To Keep Your Eyes on the Prize During Finals Week

Finals week can be a super stressful and nerve-wracking time during the semester and school year. Most people are tired and over classes by the end of the semester, making succeeding during finals extremely challenging. If you’re anything like me, it can be incredibly tough to focus on finals and staying grounded during this time. The holidays are approaching and everyone just wants to have some fun and free time over the break. Here are five ways you can keep your eyes on the prize to successfully make it through finals week:

1. Make Plans

Yes, you heard me correctly, make plans. Fill your schedule after your last final day. Fun and exciting plans act as an incentive and motivation to wrap your finals up to clear your schedule if getting good grades or keeping your scholarship isn’t enough incentive and motivation. Finals can be pretty draining and exhausting, and having something exciting to look forward to can relieve some stress and give you a little dose of dopamine.

2. Organize Yourself

Back-to-school supplies, agenda
Alexa Williams
It’s crucial to make sure you don’t miss anything during this important week, so it’s time to pull out that cute little agenda you haven’t used since the second week of class! Make sure you know what finals you have to take and when, in addition to other assignments and final projects and/or papers due during finals week. Set time aside for yourself to study and prepare. This will help you keep track of everything and prevent assignments from piling up for the last second. Imagine how satisfying it will be when you start checking things off that finals to-do list.

3. Relax!!

Don’t overwhelm yourself during finals week. Don’t procrastinate and do space everything out, whether it be studying or final papers you have to write. Doing these things in intervals will ease some stress! Make sure you’re taking care of yourself and getting enough sleep and eating right. Relaxing can be anything that makes you feel at ease, whether that is taking a nice long bath, meditating, streaming your favorite show before bed or listening to music. You got this!

4. Make Sure You Have a Quiet Environment To Work In

Since most finals are virtual this semester and students are not in their usual quiet classroom setting, it’s important to make sure that you have a quiet, work-inducive environment to work in. Since the holidays are approaching and Thanksgiving just passed, a lot of us are also back at home working on finals virtually. Being back home can also be distracting with all the family commotion going on around you, so find a place away from all the commotion and distractions. This could be your bedroom, your backyard or office.

5. Free Your Space of Any Negativity

Along with securing a quiet and work inducive environment to work on finals, it’s beneficial to make this space calming and free of any negativity. Surround yourself with things that calm you but aren’t a distraction. Good vibes only. It’s important to stay positive during finals week since there is a lot of stress and pressure involved. You’ll get through this!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Julia Safrin is a freshman at Florida State from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She is majoring in creative writing with aspirations of becoming a screenwriter for movies and TV. She has a general love for writing but is the most passionate about spoken word poetry. In her free time she goes out with with her friends and vibes to indie, alternative, and modern rock music. On campus she is involved in Poetry Club, the Brazilian Student Union, and the Hall Council. Julia is fluent is Portuguese and also frequents concerts and poetry slams.
Her Campus at Florida State University.