Girl in front of big screen in New York City
Photo by Katherine Carter

How Katherine Carter Went From Living in Her Hometown to Modeling in New York

HerCampus (HC): Where did you initially get scouted, and what made you decide that you wanted to leap into being a model?

Katherine Carter (KC): I initially got scouted at a volleyball tournament in Chicago when I was 17. When I first started, I thought it would be something small and that I would go to Miami maybe once or twice. I thought it would give me the opportunity to make some money for college, even if that were just to pay for books. Then two months after I started, I booked my first job for Calvin Klein and then walked in Paris Fashion Week a month later, so at that point, I realized it was more than just a short-term thing. I decided I would take it more seriously and not go to college.

HC: What is your favorite show that you have been a part of?

KC: My favorite show would have to be my first Chanel show in Feb. 2019, which was Karl Lagerfeld’s last collection after he passed away. Not only was it a very emotional time, but it was also a beautiful collection, a wonderful group of girls to work with and a great atmosphere that I was lucky to be a part of. 

HC: What is the most challenging part about modeling?

KC: The most challenging part by far is having my work be dependent on how I look and my size. It definitely makes you judge and compare yourself to the girls around you. It can even make you insecure if you are a size 2 or 4 rather than a 00 or 0.

HC: What is your favorite part about modeling? 

KC: My favorite thing is all the opportunities that I have been given. I have been able to travel the world and see beautiful places through work. I have also met the most inspiring and hard-working designers, actresses, singers and models that I look up to and have been able to get the best advice from.

HC: What is one professional goal that you have for yourself?

KC: A professional goal that I have for myself is continuing to push myself and get the most experience out of modeling that I can. This way, I can develop a voice to hopefully one day be able to create a foundation to help kids.

HC: Who is your favorite designer, and why?

KC: I have two designers I love. One would have to be Virginie Viard, who was the designer for Chanel after Karl’s passing. I really like her because she was able to uphold the foundation of Chanel and keep what everyone loves about clothes by making them more modern for women of all ages and putting the clothes on herself. I also love Jacquemus because he makes different yet modern everyday, classy clothes that, again, women of all ages would love.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

I'm Emma and I am a junior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Marketing. I was born in Jupiter and lived there for my entire life. In my free time I like to workout, listen to music, and write.