Wellness

How I’m Avoiding Sickness This Semester at FSU

As I write this article, my computer sits next to a half-empty Kleenex box, a trashcan filled with used tissues not far away. DayQuil is pumping through my system, and every few minutes, I sniffle slightly. Like many others right now, I’m sick, facing allergies, a cold, or something in between.

Before my time at FSU, I never got sick. I’d get the occasional cold maybe once a year, but ultimately, I stayed in good health. That all changed when I began living in Tallahassee. After the germ-filled weekend that is Talloweekend, I emerged with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and a horrible cough that lasted me for the next month. Was this the infamous “Tally Plague” that everyone had warned me about?

After that, it was smooth sailing for a few weeks until I fell ill again with the same symptoms, only slightly milder.  Luckily, the semester came to an end shortly after, and as soon as I arrived back in my hometown, I almost instantly felt better.

Entering the spring semester, I vowed that I would stay clear of the Tally Plague or any sickness, for that matter. During the fall, my consistent colds left me feeling tired and unmotivated, and I didn’t want this to be the case moving forward.

I wish I could say that I instantly began implementing effective strategies to stay healthy, but that would be too good to be true. During the first week of school, I went out a few times with my friends. The result? Strep throat.

I can’t stress enough how absolutely horrible it was. I went from taking a nine-hour nap in the middle of the day to sitting alone in an urgent care, and then waiting at CVS for steroids that would stop my throat from swelling shut. I can honestly say it was the sickest I’ve ever been.

My strep is gone, but as described, sickness still has its cold grip on me. However, I’m determined. After asking around, I’ve been prescribed a few ways to build my immune system. It may not be the beginning of the year anymore, but we’re about to enter the second half of the semester, so that’s got to count for something right? New quarter, new me?

sleep

One of the first things I was advised was to get tons of sleep. I’m no morning person. Last semester, I’d stay up late and wake up early, which did a number on my health. This semester, I made efforts to combat this by making my earliest class not start till 11:30 a.m. However, I can’t imagine going to bed at 3 a.m. and waking up at 10:30 a.m. is the healthiest sleep schedule either.

Although only partially successful so far, I’ve started setting my alarm for 9 a.m., which has, on some occasions, led me to wake up somewhat early and get a sufficient amount of sleep. This way, I won’t sleep half my day away, and I also won’t still have energy in the earliest hours of the morning.

vitamins

Another tip I received that I’ve been meaning to follow comes from my mom. She sent me vitamin gummies, such as those with Vitamin C, Fiber, and Multi. I’ve been a bit lackadaisical when it comes to implementing these gummies into my daily habits, but maybe it’s time to start. I’ve heard tea may also have similar effects, so maybe my new goal could include becoming an avid tea drinker. I’ve never been to the Argo Tea place on campus, so maybe now I finally have an excuse to go.

I’m determined to finish this next part of the semester being able to breathe fully and feel healthy. I’m hopeful that I’ll finish off the semester right.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Avery Ranum is Media/Communication Studies and Marketing double major at Florida State University, pursuing a minor in Film Studies as well. She aspires to work in the entertainment industry in the future, hopefully for a commercial broadcast network or film studio! She is currently a first-year staff writer and video social team member for Her Campus at FSU.