Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Have a Broke Friendsgiving

We’ve all been there: When we literally have to empty out every purse, check our metallic balloon animal piggy bank and look in our favorite pair of jeans for even the smallest amount of bills. Yes, collegiettes, it’s that time of year; that homestretch of the fall semester where most of us have spent most of our money and are now living on Cup O’Noodles until we’re saved during the holiday season with Chipotle gift cards and checks from our grandparents. We have to use the little money we have left wise, and what better way than to have a broke, balling on a budget Friendsgiving?

To decorate, go to the Dollar Tree. Seriously, they have some cute and festive Thanksgiving themed tableware and décor. Oh, and did I mention that it is all one dollar? Just root out anything that looks like you would have made it during your hand turkey days and opt for more Rachel from Friends Friendsgiving decorations (because we’re like basically adults now). The easiest way to do this is to keep it to a simple color scheme and not to go too crazy. Just light some candles and get some fall colors in there and you’re good to go. Now onto the best part… (Warning: You should wear those super stretchy yoga pants from Pink you have from 9th grade.)

Courtesy: Giphy

To save money on the food, make sure to host it potluck style so all of your friends will bring a dish (or wine!) and split up the price pretty evenly. Specifically, with Thanksgiving foods, I would advise against buying a whole turkey. They’re so expensive and it’s so unlikely that you’d eat it all anyway. Go for a large turkey breast or even chicken breasts, whichever you and your guests would rather have. You can add fresh herbs and make them taste just like your mom would prepare them. Remember that sides like mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato casserole and mac and cheese are all super easy to make, very filling and very cheap. Canned green beans can be brought to life with a little fresh bacon and butter, and canned cream corn just needs some butter to be good to go. 

Also, you can’t forget the stuffing! I know it’s one of those things where you either love it or hate it, but come on, it’s the best part about Thanksgiving. In addition to needing stuffing, you have to have dessert. I’m the type of person where I’d gladly not buy a turkey and instead get a giant pumpkin pie. I’m not saying you should do this; that’s really not healthy (but it is an option). Whether you pick pumpkin, pecan, apple or sweet potato, you have to have pie at your Friendsgiving; it’s mandatory. To save money on alcohol, Trader Joes has Two Buck Chuck that is known to be much better than two dollar wine actually sounds, with the Merlot being highly ranked by sommeliers. If you really don’t like the idea of Two Buck Chuck, then opt for boxed wine which is inexpensive but good quality. Keep everyone in high spirits with some good music. When in doubt, leave it up to Spotify or Pandora to do the work for you. If you’re not feeling like playing music, you can play all the classic Thanksgiving episodes of TV shows like Gossip Girl and Friends.

Courtesy: Popsugar

Just keep it festive, collegiettes, and enjoy your time away from classes!

Katie is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in Marketing and minoring in Commerical Entrepreneurship. She is one of Her Campus's national collegiate Style Editors but don't worry, you can still find her writing for Style and Career. She's a South Florida girl through and through and loves all things beachy and outdoorsy. When she isn't obsessively online shopping, looking up her daily CoStar, or reading every book in the "Free" section on iTunes, she's trying to convince people that they don't need an Instagram. Feel free to add her on LinkedIn (because networking is the new adulting) and check out her website. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.