person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash
Culture > News

How Grammy Winner Kacey Musgraves Changed This Small Business Forever

When Grammy’s Album of the Year winner Kacey Musgraves needed a quick photoshoot done, she searched Los Angeles. Her sister, Kelly, found a small mom and pop shop in the heart of Korea Town. Musgraves described on her Instagram that the shop was “sandwiched between two bodegas.” The place was called Tom’s One Hour Photo & Lab, and upon walking in they met the business owner and photographer, Tom. Musgraves and her sister admired Tom’s retro-like photography style, so she promptly decided to get her photos done. The country superstar is known for continually paying homage to the 70s with her stage sets and outfits. The era influenced her award-winning album, Golden Hour. Upon finishing her portraits, Musgraves shared the results on her story and in a post with her 1.6 million Instagram followers.

Courtesy: Kacey Musgraves on Instagram 

Soon after posting to social media, fans of Musgraves and photography aficionados flocked to Tom’s. The business was thriving, and it had appointments booked for days. Soon after, some celebrities and influencers wanted in on the trend. The business had massive amounts of interest that Musgraves’s sister, Kelly, made an Instagram account for Tom’s. Here they shared the latest portraits and showed an insight on the whole process. They displayed all the retro, vintage backgrounds that a customer could choose from and gave a behind the scenes of some of the photoshoots being done.

Courtesy: Tom’s One Hour Photo & Lab on Instagram

Tom’s soon started attracting bigger business. Khloe Kardashian’s women’s clothing brand, Good American, had a photoshoot there to display some of their latest pieces. In some of the portraits being done, one can notice a backdrop featuring the iconic Playboy bunny symbol. The magazine Playboy also noticed this and contacted Tom’s. There they asked him to do photos with the background at their “Pleasure Issue” release party. This issue was gaining popularity due to their cover star, Kylie Jenner. Jenner graces the cover and is featured in many steamy photos all shot by her beau and famous rapper, Travis Scott. At the release party, Tom was taken out of his small studio and was the entrance of the pop up for the party. Upon arriving at the pop-up, on display on the windows was Playboy and right beside it was “Tom’s 1HR Foto”.

A month after a country superstar walked in for some quick portraits, Tom’s One Hour Photo & Lab has gained major popularity with appointments and walk-ins arriving every day. The Instagram accounts now boast its 78.6K Instagram followers and even has the little blue, verified checkmark next to its name. From small portraits sessions with those who are searching for some nostalgia, or collaborating with famous brands, Tom’s offers a lot.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing and Media major at FSU with a minor in business. Lover of plants, home decor, soccer, and thrifting!
Her Campus at Florida State University.