How To Get The Most Out Of Your Sorority Experience

College is the best four years of your life, and if you have made the decision to join a sorority, you are investing your time and money into something truly life-changing. After serving as a recruitment counselor this past year, I truly realized that you get out of your sorority experience what you put in. Although a sisterhood lasts a lifetime, these four years are when you get to experience your sorority to its fullest.

Go to meals:

If your chapter has a house and serves meals, take advantage! You’re paying for delicious meals (way better than dining halls) and you have the opportunity to bond with your sisters, while partaking in the best activity out there: eating. Meals are a great way to get to know sisters that aren’t in your pledge class or your group of close friends. This is especially helpful as a new member when it seems difficult to meet people.

Live in the house:

If you have the opportunity to live in your chapter’s house, don’t hesitate! It can be intimidating living so close to so many women, but it is an opportunity you will never have again. Living in close quarters with your sisters is a sure way to grow closer and learn new things about them every day. Between studying for exams and watching movies together, you will cherish these memories forever.

Participate in recruitment:

Recruiting for your chapter is one of the best ways to really get to know every single member and feel more connected to the chapter as a whole. Even though every chapter recruits differently, being with all of your sisters for two weeks straight without any interruptions (i.e. class) is the ultimate way to bond. Recruitment is long and difficult, but the support from sisters makes those weeks well worth it.

Attend as many events as you can:

Even though life gets in the way and classes/ work can be overwhelming, making an effort to go to as many socials, date functions, and sisterhood events as possible will make a difference in your experience. Aside from the sisterhood, one of the best perks of joining a sorority is the fun events put on by the chapter. Days spent at Disney World, Universal Studios, and numerous beaches will be days you will never forget.

Some of the best college memories will come from the time spent with your sisters. Making an effort to get to know as many sisters as you can make a huge difference. Depending on how large your chapter is, this may be easy or it may be hard, but you will never regret initiating a conversation with someone you don’t know that well. These four tips are almost guaranteed to help you get the most out of your sorority experience, and as cliché, as it sounds, it’s not four years, it’s forever.

All images are courtesy of Giphy

Junior at the best school in the nation (Florida State).
Her Campus at Florida State University.