How to Get Into the Halloween Spirit

It’s the best time of the year! Time for endless orders of pumpkin spice lattes, scary movies, cooler weather, and visiting Target (at least once a week) for Halloween decorations. If you aren’t already in the Halloween spirit, here are some ways to catch you up.

Watching Halloween movies is a must during Halloweek. Grab a bowl of popcorn, get together with friends, and cozy up on the couch to really get into the Halloween spirit. Freeform started their 13 Nights of Halloween October 19th and all day the network plays classic movies like Hocus Pocus and the Addams Family. So you don’t miss your favorite movie time, here is the link to Freeform’s movie schedule.

Courtesy: Freeform

Courtesy: Pinterest

So you might think you’re too old to go trick or treating, but there’s no such thing. Even as a college student, as long as you have a costume on, you’re sure to score some candy! If that’s not your scene, totally understandable. Maybe consider hosting a house party. You’ll have the comfort of staying at home and being able to party with your friends. Decorating the apartment, setting out candy and party favors along with alcohol will definitely give you the Halloween spirit.

Coming up with a costume can be daunting, especially if you’ve been dressing up every year since elementary school and dropping $50 at a Halloween costume store just isn’t the move. Dressing up like a girl scout is super cute and totally original. You don’t have to worry about losing extensions of your costume, like a halo or wings, and it looks to be more comfortable than a polyester costume.

Courtesy: Pinterest

This one should inspire you to create the comfiest costume ever. These girls have the right idea. They seem to have cotton dresses on which are stretchy and breathable. All that was left to do was to iron the emblem onto the dress and incorporate a matching headpiece.

Courtesy: Pinterest

Let’s talk about food. Who doesn’t love pumpkins? If you’re all about it, then you can get into the spirit in no time. This time of the year means pumpkin everything: pumpkin muffin at Dunkin’ Donuts, pumpkin chocolate chip bread, and of course the famous Starbucks pumpkin spiced latte. Imagine one morning, you step outside and it’s a little chillier than usual. The contact of the warm cup against your cold hands of your pumpkin spice latte just makes everything a little bit better. What makes getting into the Halloween spirit even easier is that Chipotle and Krispy Kreme Donuts give out free food (during an allotted time schedule) to customers who show up dressed in a costume on Halloween.

Courtesy: Pinterest

Courtesy: Pinterest

The last thing you need to do to get into the Halloween spirit is visit a pumpkin patch to bring home your own pumpkin to carve! You want to make sure you save this until Halloweek just so that your pumpkin doesn’t rot before it reaches Halloween day. Carving pumpkins is fun to do with friends and you can get really creative with it! It’s all up to you how you carve your pumpkin, but make sure to save the seeds! Baked pumpkin seeds are my favorite, especially with a little bit of cinnamon. Just soak them overnight, let them to dry for another, and you’ll be ready to bake!

Courtesy: Pinterest

So remember, it’s okay if you weren’t into the Halloween spirit, but now you don’t really have an excuse. :)

Some days my spirit animal is Leslie Knope. Other days, it's April.
Her Campus at Florida State University.