After a strong regular season, Florida State swimming and diving is now reaching the end of a similarly strong championship season. As a Division 1 and top 25 college swim program, it’s no secret that the training these dedicated athletes undergo on a daily basis is tough. Of course, being a student on top of that is certainly not an easy task. Gabby Banks, a member of FSU swimming and diving, shares with Her Campus what it is like to be a part of this team and how she manages to balance it all.

Her Campus (HC): How long have you been swimming and how did you become interested?

Gabby Banks (GB): I have been swimming now for 16 years. I started swimming because my older sister used to and she was my role model growing up in Jamaica. Since I wanted to be just like her and do everything she did, I would go to the pool with her for practice and jump in without hesitation. 

HC: How much of your day would you say is dedicated to swimming?

GB: On Monday, Wednesday and Friday swimming takes up four hours and 30 minutes of my day. The other days average two hours and 30 minutes. I swim approximately 20 hours a week. My whole life, schedule and school revolve around swimming and practice times. Planning, driving, thinking about swimming and stretching all for under a minute of my race makes those hours feel even longer. 

HC: Being that swimming is such a time-consuming sport, what tips have you learned that help you balance your schedule that you think could benefit other FSU students?

GB: Prioritize what you need to and actually follow through on getting it done. Plan out your week the week before. Avoid distractions and stick firmly to your plans, it’s okay to say “no” to your friends. 

HC: What is the best advice that you have been given that has helped you get through tough moments in training?

GB: The best advice I have been given is that it all pays off in the end. Swimming has given me opportunities to expand and improve not only my physical being but my mindset. Even outside of that, through swimming I have been given opportunities to start my career through the Nike Internship I have received. 

HC: As this competitive season comes to a close, looking back, what are your fondest memories from the past year?

GB: My fondest memories of this past year would probably have to be training camp. Every competition season we travel down to Boca Raton, FL, and train for a week before Christmas. The atmosphere was optimal at the beach and I was surrounded by my best friends just living life. Practicing three times a day almost every day is obviously not as fun, but not a lot of sports teams get this opportunity, and I am grateful we get to. 

HC: What are you most looking forward to doing now that this year’s competitive season is coming to an end?

GB: If I’m being honest, I am looking forward to being able to sleep in. Waking up at 5/6 a.m. is not for the weak, especially in college. Staying up late at night, and waking up early in the morning is something I am not going to miss. 

HC: What are your favorite activities to do to stay healthy in the offseason? 

GB: I usually like going biking or doing cycling classes to stay active. It’s a good way to keep my muscles active and to work up a sweat. Personally, I find that biking on a sunny day is the most enjoyable. I also do strength training with the workouts provided by our strength coach. 

HC: Moving into your senior season, what goals do you hope to accomplish and how do you see your relationship with swimming changing once you graduate?

GB: Going into my senior year, I want to start preparing for my future outside of college.  Starting to look for jobs, applying and hopefully getting one so I will be able to do what I love. I see my relationship with swimming becoming more like something I choose to do because it makes me feel good. Sometimes, when you’re so invested in a sport, it stops feeling like a choice. Whether that be from outside pressures such as coaches, parents, or even just yourself. Even if I take a break from swimming or stop, I will always remember why I did it for so long and what it has taught me. 

HC: Finally, what do you wish you could tell your freshman-year self?

GB: I wish I could tell my freshman-year self to keep pushing because when it’s all over, you’re going to be glad you did. I struggled with my mindset when it came to swimming freshman year. It was hard navigating these emotions and figuring out if this is really what I wanted from my college experience. I chose to stick with it because swimming has been one of the main constants in my life since I was little. Swimming was my entire universe and if I wasn’t swimming, who was I? I had to learn how to separate myself from my sport and see my value outside of swimming. This was especially important because, obviously, I was not going to be swimming forever.

You can check out FSU swimming and diving on their Instagram.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!