Like many of us, I’ve had a love-hate relationship with my body. I’ve tried just about everything, healthy and unhealthy, to fit into how I thought I’m supposed to look. Recently, I’ve shifted my focus from how I look to how I feel. Here are my best tips to incorporate body positivity into your daily life:

1. Treat yo’ Self

Courtesy: giphy

As Collegiettes, we spread ourselves too thin. Between organizations, fifteen credit hours, exercise, healthy eating, and our social lives, we often do not make time for ourselves. Whether you buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, a new shade of lipstick, or have a relaxing spa day at home, find small ways to take care of your body and mind. Unwind in whatever way you can, just make sure you schedule it in your planner.

2. Lift Up Others

Courtesy: giphy

Too many of us surround ourselves with negativity and unfortunately, spread negativity onto others. If you start being positive about others, you’ll probably notice you are happier with yourself. Complement a friend or the random girl in your class who’s really rocking that jean skirt. Your positivity may inspire others, too. 

3. Move your Body

Courtesy: giphy

This isn’t to say that you need to lose weight to feel better about yourself. The purpose of exercise and body positivity should be to see what you are capable of. I recently picked up Taekwondo and Self Defence. Since I’ve been constantly improving and realizing I can better protect myself, I’ve been a lot more positive about my own body. Sign up for that yoga class, dance to one more song, or go on a nice walk through nature. When you get outside of your comfort zone, you’ll be surprised with what your body can do.

4. Affirm Yourself

Courtesy: giphy

Tell yourself you’re beautiful, smart, talented or whatever else makes you feel confident. Appreciate everything that you do for yourself and others. Most importantly, remember that you are worthy of your own love.

FSU student, tutor, editor and writer
Her Campus at Florida State University.