How Dominicans Celebrate Independence Day

If you didn’t already know, Dominicans find any reason to celebrate, so our Independence day is no different.  On Feb. 27th, Dominicans from all over the world gather to commemorate the day in which their country’s independence was gained. 

During Haiti’s occupation of the Dominican Republic, Juan Pablo Duarte, Ramón Matías Mella, and Francisco del Rosario Sánchez created a resistance organization.  They named the organization La Trinitaria, referring to three, to keep each section of the resistance as secretive as possible.  Through the group, they sought support from the general populace. Once they were forced to make a move against Haiti, Sánchez fired a cannon shot and raised the red, white and blue flag of the Dominican Republic, establishing independence. 

Now, onto the celebrations. Dominican Independence Day has a wide variety of festivities to partake in, one of which includes Carnival.  This is arguably the biggest party held in the DR, and it is celebrated for the entire month of February with its culmination coming on Independence Day.  Most towns commemorate the country in slightly different ways by incorporating their own traditions. From the costumes to the religion, the distinction of the traditions is made clear.  The Diablo Cojuelo, meaning limping devil, is the main character of the Dominican carnival. Legends say he’s limping because his mischievous ways led him to have a limp leg.  Basically, if you don’t see some form of a devil, you’re not at carnival in the Dominican Republic.  In addition to the masks and characters, the people often hang flags on their balconies to honor La Trinitaria.  Because we always find a reason to party, this day is also filled with people throwing their respective celebrations as well. 

In the United States major cities like Miami and New York, hold festivals on this day too.  I remember being somewhere around the age of 10 and going to Juan Pablo Duarte Park in Miami, with my family to celebrate our country’s independence.  There was typical Dominican food like los tres golpes, literally meaning the three hits, which include salami, fried cheese and eggs with a side of mangú. The neighborhood of Allapattah, home of Juan Pablo Duarte Park, has a large population of Dominicans, making the festivities that much more extravagant.  It was always refreshing to see people laughing while dancing Merengue, because of the little kids cutting through the dance floor to get a slice of bizcocho Dominicano.  Growing up in an environment where people embraced their culture so wholeheartedly, makes me truly appreciate where I come from.

This independence day went a little differently, however, because of the current state of the government.  To summarize it, government officials suspended a national vote over problems in their voting machines.  The outrage that came with it caused the people of the Dominican Republic to protest.  Protests were held not only in the DR, but all over the United States too.  People collectively gathered to fight for the right of their voice being heard. In the Dominican Republic, protestors flooded La Plaza de la Bandera, the Flag Square of Santo Domingo, in hopes of making a difference. Their commitment to justice left an impact on our Independence day that will be remembered for the rest of history.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Yumarlis, Yumi for short, is a First-Generation college student from Miami, FL majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State University. Aside from writing for Her Campus, you can find Yumi studying at the library or watching Netflix. There's no in-between.
Her Campus at Florida State University.