How to Deal With Not Having a Car in Tallahassee

If you’re like me, you are consistently annoyed with the mere fact of not having a vehicle with you in Tallahassee. After explaining to my parents many times that Tallahassee is not a city and it is just a town with strip malls there was still no budging. My parents wanted me to get situated at Florida State before adding a car in the picture, so I’ve had to improvise. And as impossible as it may seem, there are some alternatives to having a car with you here at Florida State. Collegiettes, I am here to make your transportation dreams come true. Read on to find out about the bus system, the Safe Bus, and Zip Car.

The bus system here at Florida State is incredibly reliable and very consistent. There is almost a bus stop everywhere you look, and they run at pretty even intervals. The Transloc app on the iPhone tells you exactly how much longer until the bus is arriving and how much longer until the bus after that will be arriving. Many times I have come out of my building and checked Transloc and the time says three minutes, making it easy for me to arrive on time for class on the other side of campus. There are off campus routes and on campus routes, and with the Transloc application it tells you exactly where the bus heads!

The Safe Bus is by far the easiest form of transportation here at Florida State. Many times I’ve had late nights at Strozier and the Safe Bus saved me from walking home all alone late at night. The safe Bus starts running at midnight and goes until 3am. It provides transportation from anywhere on campus to any destination on campus. All you have to do is call (850)-644-SAFE, they will ask you where you are, where you want to go, and what color shirt you are wearing. They will then give you an estimated time, and then soon enough they’ll arrive and take you home safely and soundly.

Zip Car is a new addition to Florida State, and it is easy access to cars here in Tallahassee. All you have to do as sign up for a membership and then you are able to reserve cars for when you want to use them and go pick it up! You do have to pay for driving credit, but the card they give you unlocks the car and pays for gas. A huge perk is that when you sign up for a membership, you’re first driving rate is free!  You can take the car as far as 180 miles, and can reserve them hourly or daily. Many universities have been using Zip Car and it provides much convenience, especially since parking is so difficult!

So I guess it’s not impossible to get around Tallahassee without a car. Surprisingly enough, I think I have benefitted greatly from not having a car up here, because I have been able to learn about all the other transportation options provided here at Florida State. Collegiettes, we can all survive without a car… are you up for the challenge? 

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!