How COVID-19 is Impacting the World of American Entertainment

In times like these it can be really hard to keep track of all the news and decisions being made daily relating to the Coronavirus. The craziness of the Coronavirus has brought most of us home from campus, transitioned our classes to online learning and instilled the practice of social distancing where we are discouraged to go out into the world unnecessarily. Everyone is encouraged to stay 6 feet away from everyone at all times and have no gatherings larger than 10 people. Sadly, the list of things we can’t do, go to or watch does not end there. This is a compressed list of all the major forms of entertainment that have been cancelled or postponed due to the Coronavirus.

Sports

Because of the discouragement of being in such close proximity to each other, many sports events of 2020 have been cancelled or postponed. The biggest sports event that has been postponed is the 2020 Olympics, which was supposed to occur in Tokyo in July. In addition, Major League Soccer, Major League Baseball, the NBA and the NHL have suspended their seasons for the time being. None of these have any real conclusive information about when they plan on restarting or if they will be done for the season.

People Doing Marathon
Snapwire from Pexels

Movies/Television

With social distancing, people aren’t going to the movie theaters right now and spending money to see new movies, which has caused many movies to delay their release in the hopes that they can make more money in the future. Some of the movies that has postponed release are: Wonder Woman 1984No Time To DieIn the HeightsFast and Furious 9MulanBlack WidowNew MutantsA Quiet Place Part IIand Peter Rabbit 2. The production of TV series are also going to be on hold, some of them including The BacheloretteSurvivor, The Amazing RaceRiverdaleThe Morning Show and Grey’s Anatomy.

Cultural Events

Cultural events include any theaters, museums, entertainment parks and events that have been cancelled or postponed due to the Coronavirus. Because New York City has some of the most confirmed cases, Broadway, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art have closed. All Disney parks and resorts have also closed down, including both Orlando’s Disney World, California’s Disneyland and any Disney cruises.

Photo of the castle during daytime with Christmas decorations
Photo by Craig Adderley from Pexels

Music Events

Music concerts and events have taken some of the biggest hits of American entertainment. So many artists and bands have cancelled their tours like My Chemical Romance, Cher, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, Ciara, BTS, Avril Lavigne, Pentatonix, Green Day, Bob Dylan, Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Michael Bublé and more. In addition to these individual concerts, many festivals like Coachella, Stagecoach and Ultra Music Festival have been cancelled as well.

I received all this information from various lists that have been created by VoxGlamourThe New York Times and TIME Magazine. If you want more information on other things that I did not mention to see if they’re cancelled or on tentative release and reopening dates you can refer to these sources. These can be really difficult times right now, especially when you’re stuck at home bored and reading about all the things you can’t go to or watch this year. Do your best to think of (and maybe read some other articles about) positive things you can do with your extra free time. Make sure to wash your hands and keep yourself and others healthy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Morgan is a freshman double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys listening to King Princess on repeat, playing with her puppy Luna, and sleeping her problems away.
Her Campus at Florida State University.