Have you thought about what would happen to the world after the coronavirus pandemic? Or what the effects of this pandemic are doing to the world right now? This pandemic has severely increased the poverty line around the world, and is expected to push more than 71 million to 135 million people into extreme poverty. According to new data published by the UN Women and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the pandemic will push more than 47 million women and girls below the poverty line.

Now, many people still question why is this happening. Women usually take less pay and hold fewer secure jobs. Women’s employment stands at 19 percent more at risk than men’s, which is due to the plummeting economic activity and as result, women are constantly being laid off. Moreover, more women usually hold jobs as domestic workers. As a result of the pandemic, this job has been compromised; families do not want more people to either feed or take care of during this situation. Consequently, this leaves these women jobless and without any way for them to endure the situation. The following statistics expain how the female-sector is going to suffer due to the pandemic.

For Women sign
Katherine Hanlon

The areas of Central and Southern Asia and sub-Saharan Africa will have the worst escalation of poverty with an extra 54 million and 24 million, correspondingly. The worst case of this whole situation is that in both of these areas, they have already suffered from poverty, and now with COVID-19, it has become worse. In the area of South Asia, a 10 percent poverty rate was expected by 2021, but now it has gone up to 13 percent.

Alternatively, it has also widened the gap between males and females in poverty. For every 100 men, 118 women will be in poverty in 2021. Furthermore, by 2030 for every 100 men, there will be 121 women in poverty. Most people may not know what poverty entails and question what will happen to these women. For most of these women, they will not have a job, be able to provide for their family, or even have food on their tables for themselves.

As if that weren’t enough, there is also the problem of females who live in abusive households. In some cases, when women are fired or recieve less money from their jobs, the result is that some partners release all this “stress” or “anxiety” on them. It is estimated that around 243 million women and girls from ages 15 to 49 were subjected to sexual and/or abusive physical violence in the past year. During the first few weeks of the lockdown, some countries have reported a rise of cases in domestic violence and calls to the abusive hotlines, which include Argentina, Cyprus, France and Singapore. In summary, because of the global situation, they have also been more restricted to abusive behavior since they cannot leave the house. Some are even threatened if they do.

What can you do?

First, if you are going through any of these situations seek help, in whatever way is possible. Remember, you are not alone. Second, if you are not going through any of these situations, there are ways to help those who are in these situations. Third, find an organization or entity in which you can aid these females, like the United Nations. Finally, understand that this is a problem the world is facing and if we do not act now, it is going to worsen.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Basiliki Kosmas is originally from Panama City, Panama. She is double majoring in Finance & Criminology at Florida State University.
Her Campus at Florida State University.