Career

How To Cook in College Without a Meal Plan

Heading off to college can be a really daunting experience. It’s an exciting time mixed with feelings of anxiety, apprehension and even more excitement! I remember receiving my letter of acceptance into Florida State University (FSU) and not knowing where to start. One big question I had was whether or not to get a meal plan. Was it worth it? Did I really want to spend all that money? Meal plans can be really expensive, and I didn’t know where to go for advice. Luckily, I’m here to give you some tips. 

I am personally not a big meal plan person. They’re expensive and limiting, and I truly enjoy cooking my own food. Now I know that idea is a little nerve-wracking, but this article can give you some tips on eating on a budget in college without a meal plan. 

But what about my kitchen situation?

I know that’s a common question. Many students and especially freshmen only have access to a microwave and a limited amount of kitchen equipment. Some dorms offer a communal kitchen that I recommend you use! However, if you’re not a fan of the kitchen and just want to get started, then here’s what I recommend you grab before move-in day:

Microwave

Making food in the microwave is a sticky subject because people don’t give it a chance. There are a ton of microwave cake recipes that satisfy any dorm dweller’s-liver’s sweet-tooth. It’s great for defrosting, indulging in some frozen meals and even steaming vegetables. I recommend a microwave for sure!

A George Forman Grill

This is a great appliance for any chef, whether you’re a beginner or highly advanced! This grill is great for cooking meat, frying eggs, pressing sandwiches and paninis, making burgers and even grilling vegetables. It’s simple to use and heats up on both sides, giving you ample surface area. You don’t need the biggest grill out there, but I definitely don’t recommend the smallest one so you can get the best use out of your handy appliance!

Toaster Oven

Courtesy of Bed Bath & Beyond

My holy grail! Not having a full kitchen can be really frustrating. This shrunken oven came to my rescue for toasting bread in the morning, heating up any food that required the use of an oven and more. I would say the best part of a toaster oven is heating up leftover pizza instead of sticking it in the microwave, where it ends up drying out. 

Hot Pot or Electric Water Boiler

Heating up water and liquids for coffee, tea and even soup and ramen is a dilemma you never think of until you move into a dorm. This is when a hot pot or a water boiler can come in handy. You just heat your liquid up using them and avoid the long inconvenient walk to the communal kitchen.

Mini Food Processor

This one may sound weird, but having a food processor handy when you’re doing some quick and easy cooking helps you avoid all the annoying cutting board action. Just stick your onions in there instead of having to dice them yourself and you’re on your way to chef stardom!

Cutting board

cutting board with food
Photo by Katie Smith on Unsplash
I know I just said a food processor can help avoid this, but you’re surely going to need to chop some food so grabbing a cheap wooden or even plastic cutting board can definitely help. 

What about Utensils?

To avoid buying too many knives, I recommend one good big chef knife that can do all the slicing and chopping for you and a nice little paring knife for the less intense stuff. As ironic as this sounds, the sharper the knife, the safer your fingers are. If you’re still a beginner and don’t like the idea, then kitchen scissors will be your lifesaver! Run to Ikea or Walmart and grab a handy utensil set that’ll surprisingly last you until your senior year. I know mine did. 

Grocery Shopping

Anna Shvets via Pexels

Now that you have your basics down, what about the food? Grocery shopping can be really difficult when you’re on your own for the first time. The options can feel daunting. My number one tip is to never go grocery shopping when you’re hungry. I’ve done my fair share of over-spending when every item looks like something I need in me for lack of anything else! 

Another tip is to plan ahead. There’s a ton of easy dorm-friendly recipes on the internet that have come in handy for me. You also don’t need to buy everything all at once and break the bank. Slowly accumulating your pantry can help you avoid over-spending and impulse buying pantry items you don’t need. The basics like salt, pepper and oil are a must and work up from there to things like rice, dry pasta, pizza sauce, peanut butter and jelly and whatever else your heart desires. 

I should note that pre-made frozen food is very handy for your first year in college. Just make sure to take note of the nutritional value of the food you have daily and never feel bad for indulging every once in a while. 

Fridge space is always an issue in dorms, especially when you share a space with someone else. I would recommend nonperishable canned items like beans and tuna that are both healthy and store well in your tiny room. If the perishability of veggies is an issue for you, then buying frozen peppers, onion and broccoli are key!

I hope this article inspires some freshmen to start their cooking journey. College really grew my love for cooking and experimenting with the food I make every day. This is just the start, and soon enough you’ll be giving your own cooking advice! Have fun cooking!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Tala Habash is a Florida State student studying International Affairs and Media/Communication Studies and minoring in General Business. She is the Vice President of the Arab Student Union and the Students for Justice in Palestine chapter at FSU. She's a plant mom at heart and loves to read, watch movies, and try new foods! If you ever wanna discuss your persistent One Direction phase, find her on Instagram @tala.habash.