Culture > News

How Celebrities Are Helping During This Global Pandemic

As of April 10, 2020, the Coronavirus has affected over 1.5 million people all around the globe. Because of the mass spread of this virus, countries are taking precautions like social distancing, self-quarantining and the closing of non-essential businesses. The United States government is working alongside other countries, monitoring the data we have on COVID-19 and trying to determine the best course of action for everyone. While the government is doing the best, they can at the moment, many celebrities have been using their privilege and money to fight back against this global pandemic. Collecting information from articles of CNBC and VOGUE, here are some of the ways that different celebrities have mobilized against COVID-19:

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga has been working with the Global Citizen organization to raise over $35 million to buy protective equipment for health care employees. In addition, she has curated the World Health Organization benefit concert scheduled for this Saturday, April 18th. With social distancing, many concerts and live events have been cancelled in order to keep citizens safe, so a telecasted concert is a great way to boost people’s spirits during this pandemic. The live show begins at 8 p.m. ET and can be viewed through various networks like ABC, NBC, iHeartMedia and others. This concert will include performances by Billie Eilish, John Legend, Lizzo, Paul McCartney and many more.

NBA Players

Many sports teams have had to cancel their season due to the Coronavirus, leaving a lot of people whose primary income came from those arenas without jobs. Kevin Love of the Cleveland Cavaliers is donating $100,000 to support the staff of the Cavaliers arena that are being affected by the NBA suspension. Blake Griffin of the Detroit Pistons has done the same, giving $100,000 to help compensate employees at Little Caesars Arena, where the Pistons play. Steph Curry and his wife Ayesha have donated to the Alameda County Community Food Bank and Feeding America to help ensure that kids and families in need have meals.

FSU basketball dunk
Jacob Gralton

Rihanna

The Clara Lionel Foundation, founded by Rihanna in 2012, is donating $5 million to Direct Relief, Feeding America, the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund and other organizations fighting COVID-19.

Oprah Winfrey

Oprah has donated a total of $10 million “to help Americans during this pandemic in cities across the country,” says Oprah on CNN. $1 million will go towards America’s Food Fund to help alleviate food insecurity, while the remaining $9 million will be dispersed to different groups helping Americans during COVIS-19.

Kris and Kylie Jenner

Kylie Jenner has donated $1 million to buy face masks and other protective gear for health-care professionals working in the front lines against COVID-19. In addition, Kylie, her mother Kris and the cosmetic company Coty Inc. are working to produce hand sanitizers for Southern California hospitals.

This list here only highlights a few of the many celebrities that are donating money and supplies to help with relief during this global pandemic. People understand the severity of this virus and the impact it’s having on people’s lives as schools are shut down, hospitals are overrun and more people are becoming unemployed. Donations to organizations like Feeding America will help people who are struggling immensely, but if that’s not something you have the ability to do then stay at home and practice social distancing in order to do your part to stop the spread of this virus.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Morgan is a freshman double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys listening to King Princess on repeat, playing with her puppy Luna, and sleeping her problems away.
Her Campus at Florida State University.