How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day With or Without A Date

Whether you’re in a relationship or not, Valentine’s Day is a holiday everyone deserves to celebrate. This year you should explore options beyond the classic rom-com, chocolate and cozy couch night in and find a creative way to celebrate! Don’t worry, wine night can still happen after you get back home. The following Valentine’s Day activities can be used as fun date ideas for you and your boo-thang or for a day with your girls.

1. Visit the top of the Capitol Building

Courtesy: Colin Hackley Photography

This could be a romantic spot on a couple’s date or a fun thing to do with your gal-pals. Take a camera and enjoy the #views. It’s free and open to the public on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. While you’re in the neighborhood, you might as well stop in the aesthetically pleasing Historical Capitol Building and see the stained-glass dome. They’re both totally Instagram worthy and perfect for a couples’ or a friend group picture.

2. See Hairspray

This is what I’m planning on doing with my roommates for Galentine’s day. Hairspray will be playing at the Fallon Theater on Valentine’s Day at 8:00 p.m. The best part is V-Day is on Theater Night, so tickets are only five dollars for students! It will be playing Feb. 15 through 24, so you can make it a weekend date night as well! Buy tickets here.

Courtesy: Giphy

3. Go rock climbing

Looking for something a little more adventurous? Try rock climbing at the Tallahassee Rock Gym! This would be fun with your best friends or your boyfriend! Find more information here.

4. Get outdoors

This could be something as simple as having a picnic on Landis (and enjoying the company of cute dogs) or something more involved like renting a canoe at the Rez! Here is a link to a bunch of hiking trails in and around Tallahassee if you’re into something more active. Try to unplug from technology and spend quality time with the people you love.

5. Buy Chocolate

Okay, I know this is, like, the most basic Valentine’s day tradition, but if you don’t have the time or the money to do something extravagant, something as simple as buying a classic heart-shaped box of assorted chocolates can put you in the holiday spirit!

There’s a fun game you can play to spend a little time with your friends or significant other. Take turns picking pieces of chocolate for each other, don’t tell the other players what the filling is and make them guess the flavor! R.I.P. to whoever gets the cherry cordial.

This Valentine’s Day, find a new way to celebrate! Everyone is allowed to have fun on V-Day, regardless if you’re loving the #SingleLife and want to have a fun day with the gals or if you’re still enjoying cuffing season with your S.O.

Rebecca is a junior at FSU majoring in creative writing. She enjoys reading novels until midnight (okay, maybe 2:00 AM), binge-watching shows on Netflix, and hiking in the mountains of North Carolina.
Her Campus at Florida State University.