Hope Carpinello: Sports Media Superstar

Name: Hope Carpinello

Year: Senior

Hometown: Boca Raton, FL

Major: Media Communication Studies

Her Campus (HCFSU): When did you first take an interest in sports media?

Hope Carpinello (HC): I have always loved sports. I played some in high school, but my brother was the star athlete of our family. I would spend my time at his baseball or basketball games. Whether it I was watching him play or watching Sports Center in the mornings before school, I knew I wanted to do something in sports. I was never a math or science person so I ruled out those careers. I was always the girl who knew just as much as the guys when it came to sports! My dream job would be working for ESPN in some capacity. I love people and building relationships so sports media seemed like the right fit for me. The Communication School here has really brought out the best in me and it’s awesome that I get to combine the two. I can’t believe my time as a student is coming to an end so quickly.

HCFSU: What is it like working for FSU sports information?

HC:  Sports Information handles media relations for all the FSU athletic programs. They are kind of like the middleman between players, coaches, the program and media such as TV stations, newspapers, radio etc. It has opened my eyes and made me appreciate all of the work that goes into our athletic programs to make them the best on and off the field or court. Everyday is different! I am finishing up my second year interning with Sports Information and I have done things from interview players after games, type-up quotes, compile game notes, run stats to media members, edit media guides, fact check, take stats, written features for SEMINOLES.COM, live tweeting and updating Instagram stories. A lot goes into each individual athletic team from football to soccer to tennis. It has been a lot of fun!

HCFSU: Which is your favorite sport to work?

HC: Football games have definitely been the most fun to work because of the energy, the hype and the rush. Football games are a very fast paced environment, and I love that. I love FSU football but basketball is my favorite sport to watch in general. The Men and Women’s games were always fun to work because both teams had a great season. Each event is an opportunity for me to network and represent my school. I am so passionate about Florida State athletics and the school as a whole. I have learned so much about how an elite athletic communication program is to be run and I know I will take this experience with me in all of my future endeavors.

Hope and Sam Ponder at the Clemson game!

HCFSU: What has been your most memorable FSU sports moment?

HC: One of my favorite things about working with FSU Sports Information is the people I come in contact with. My most memorable moments have come from meeting strong, kind and passionate women in the sports world who are good at their jobs. I had the pleasure of meeting Samantha Ponder during our Clemson game this year, as well as Doris Burke at a Women’s Basketball game. I was star struck both times! These women are such role models to me. You really can be an intelligent, strong, kind woman in sports. That’s the kind of person I want to be for myself and for every other girl dreaming of landing their dream job in the sports world or anywhere else for that matter… a #GirlBoss is what I call them. It was so encouraging to talk to them even for a few minutes!

HCFSU: Tell us about working the Orange Bowl! Do you have a standout moment?

HC: The Orange Bowl was a surreal. The fact that we were playing in it made it all the more special. My stand out moment was standing on the sidelines when Deondre Francois threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Noonie Murray. I’m pretty sure I cried! That was my last FSU football game as an undergrad, and I got to experience it that way. I am so thankful for the opportunities Florida State has given me, and that game made me realize that I am on the right career path.

HCFSU: Is there anything interesting that goes on behind the scenes at sporting events that Noles would be surprised about?

HC: I think the fact that there is so much that goes on behind the scenes is interesting enough. It’s more than just the team on the field or on the court. There is a team behind the team that works to make sure everything runs the way it’s supposed to. No matter how many times I have watched the starting kickoff from the rooftop of Doak or stood in the same room as Coach Fisher or Dalvin Cook or even just worked with the people I do, it never gets old. I have learned so much from every single Sports Information Director, and I haven’t taken a second of it for granted.

HCFSU: Do you plan to pursue a career in sports media post-graduation?

HC: I do! I have started to “climb the ladder” so to speak. My goal is to eventually become a director of communications for a team or even at ESPN. I’ve sent resumes to organizations and pro-teams and had some interviews. It’s all a waiting game at this point. I want to make sure I take the job that’s right for me. It’s very easy to get discouraged or have your ego dented if there isn’t a job lined up for you after graduation but I have gotten over that. I know this is what I’m supposed to do! I just have to trust that God really knows what’s best for me and will open the door I’m supposed to go through when the time is right. 

HCFSU: What advice do you have for anyone who wants to pursue a career in sports media?

HC: My advice is to just try things out. I’ve tried everything including journalism, video, marketing, graphic design, on-camera reporting, and radio. You never know what you may end up liking and that’s the only way you’ll find your place or what you’re good at. Plus, FSU has so many opportunities! You just have to look for them.  If you’re unsure on how to get involved, just ask! Ask an advisor or if you find a group or organization you’re interested in, email them! The worst they can do is say “no” or not respond. There are so many ways to get involved in sports.  It’s not always easy, especially for a woman in a male dominated world. There have been days where I felt like I was in way over my head and that’s when I fell back on my support system of my family and friends who have always believed in me. I truly believe anyone can do anything they want. The only person stopping you is YOU! So go get it! 

Shelby Curran is a senior at Florida State University majoring in English with a concentration in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications.
Her Campus at Florida State University.