Here’s How You Can Help Autism Speaks Ability Week at Florida State

Courtesy: Nantucket Kid

As individuals who could make a change in this world we often find ourselves asking, “Where do I start?” or even just, “How can I help someone?” Well, here at Florida State University, there is a special organization you can get involved in to help someone: Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks is an organization that began in 2005 and is now the largest autism organization in North America. Autism Speaks is “dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, and treatments for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.” Right here at Florida State University, we have a student run chapter that upholds the desires of the national organization, as well as advocates for individuals on the spectrum. Along with working to raise money for research, the student chapter also hopes to raise awareness and educate people about autism, canceling out the taboo that surrounds members of the special needs community.

Starting on Oct. 17, you can join Autism Speaks as they kick off their Ability Week! During Ability Week, Autism Speaks seeks to bring awareness to their recently launched Ability Campaign, which is working to change the way people look at those on the spectrum and show that they have amazing abilities and are unique in their own way. They hope to bring attention to students on our campus who are working to further themselves, regardless of their “differently-abled” status. So, look for the Autism speaks crew on Oct. 17 on Union Green, with games, giveaways and free food! You can also find them on Oct. 18 on Landis Green, giving out coffee and treats for those of you that may have a dreadful midterm to look forward to. And, if you find yourself wanting to help out more, take a shot at joining the Autism Speaks organization and attend their general body meeting on Oct. 19.

Now, it’s obvious this group is out here trying to make a positive change, not just for those with autism, but also the community in general. Taking the time to educate others and fighting to make autism a topic that people aren’t afraid of is a beautiful trait. So, shout-out to the Autism Speaks Florida State University chapter! If you want to help but don’t have the time to make it to their events being held during Ability Week, you can also buy a $3 raffle ticket for a chance to win a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses and all money will go towards autism research. Not only will you be furthering science, but you also might snag a new pair of sunglasses! Help out and start the journey of being a change in the world.

To find out anything more about Autism Speaks at FSU, you can follow them on their social media.  

Facebook: Autism Speaks U – Florida State University

Instagram: ASU_FSU

Twitter: ASU_FSU

I am currently a junior at Florida State University, studying Editing, Writing and Media. I have a passion for fashion and I love all things pop culture. After graduating I hope to pursue a career in journalism as for now I am simply trying to balance: school, work, having a social life and when I can sleep! I'm taking each day as it comes, and enjoying this journey that is life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.