Here’s How To Make Your Own Chipotle Chicken Bowl

If you are anything like me, then it’s Chipotle over Moes any day. As a college student, Tex-Mex has become my go to for fast foods; at this point, I think I am probably 75% Tex-Mex and 25% pizza. I like it because it gives me the illusion that it is a lot healthier than other options, chips and salsa (need I say more?), and then there is the Guac, how can I forget the Guac?  Plus, Is it really fast-food? It’s more like fast casual, maybe? The one con that may be a deal breaker for most are the dreadful lines that seem to last for hours when you are hungry. Skip the line and order online? Better yet, make it yourself at home with these easy steps. Save yourself the $7!

I took my inspiration and most of my materials from Culinary Hill, a Food Blogger and culinary student who focuses on Midwest recipes.

In my bowl I usually get: Chicken, Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa, rice, mild and Guac. Sometimes I add some sour cream and cheese, depending on my mood. Here’s how you can make my Chipotle order at home.

Chipotle Chicken Recipe

Prep Time: 20-25 minutes

Servings: 2

Ingredients:

1 Can of Chipotle Peppers

Adobo Sauce (can be found in your nearest grocery stone)

1 red onion, chopped

1 teaspoon of Minced garlic

1 teaspoon of cumin

1 teaspoon of oregano

salt and black pepper (to taste)

¼ cup of olive oil

2 chicken breasts

Instructions:

1. Initially, you are creating marinade for your chicken. For the best flavor, you should marinade your chicken for at least 12 hours. If you want the food for that same day, the recipe will still work. I suggest you make a larger quantity so it can last you for the next day and you can really let the flavor soak in.

I like to start by making the marinade first. Open a can of Chipotle peppers, pour a little bit of the liquid from the can in a food processor, along with very little amount of peppers. Then, add about ¼ of a cup of adobo sauce into the food processor.

2. Add red onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper to the food processor, as well. Pulse until a paste is created. *add water if the paste came out too spicy

3. Marinate the chicken in a plastic bag. Refrigerate the chicken in the bag as you let in marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.

4. You can cook the chicken on a grill, skillet or even an oven. I chose to do it on the skillet. Grill the chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until the outside begins to caramelize.

Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa

Ingredients:

1 can of sweet corn

½ cup of red onion, finely chopped

¼ Bell Pepper

Salt (to taste)

Cilantro

2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice

Instructions:

1. Open can of corn and cook in saucepan over medium heat. Once it is warm, it is ready to eat.

2. Put the cooked corn in a bowl and add the red onion, bell pepper, lime juice and salt.

*Chipotle uses white sweet corn, I substituted it for canned corn because it was more accessible to me.

White Rice

Ingredients:

White rice

Rice cooker

Cilantro

Butter

Water

Salt

Lime

Instructions:

1. Make rice how you would normally do it. However, replace the oil for melted butter.

2. Add chopped cilantro and lime

Mild

Ingredients:

1 tomato, finely chopped

¼ bell pepper, diced

¼ red onion, diced

lime juice

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, combine the tomato, red onion, cilantro, bell pepper and lime juice.

2. Let it sit for at least ten minutes.

Guac

Ingredients:

1 hass avocado

¼ red onion

lime juice

salt

Instructions:

1. Mash the avocado

2. Combine red onion, lime juice, and salt to taste.

All photos courtesy: Victoria Weler

ENJOY!!!

Her Campus at Florida State University.