Peer Navigators Rep Image
Peer Navigators Rep Image
Paige Duskie

Here’s How to Have a G.O.O.D Week

This Monday kicks off Getting Out Our Dialogue (G.O.O.D.) week for the Center for Leadership and Social Change. Over the course of the next few days, students have the opportunity to attend a series of installations designed to facilitate intentional conversations covering a wide range of social issues. All four of the events have been brought to life by the Social Change Peer Educators.

For those unaware, the Social Change Peer Educators is a team comprised of seven student leaders: Karina Amalbert, Jay Galante, Paige Duskie, Taylor Love, Nicoya Callahan, Miles Feacher and Jacqueline Herrera. Their mission is to “engage undergraduate students as peer educators on the outcomes of diversity, inclusion, identity, and leadership.” Initial planning for G.O.O.D. week dates back to Oct. of 2019, which illustrates just how dedicated these students are to making a meaningful impact on Florida State.

Peer Navigators Body Image
Paige Duskie

They drew inspiration for G.O.O.D. week from Kanye West’s record label, GOOD (in this case, “Getting Out Our Dreams”) music. Each Peer Educator even selected a song from the label that embodied their installation.

Here are your four opportunities to get involved this week:

Monday: “Transgender: What Does it Mean? A Panel!”

For the premiere event of G.O.O.D. week, you can attend a panel led by transgender identifying FSU students. At this panel they will be answering an expansive range of questions, so whether you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community or just want to learn more, you are encouraged to attend. This installation, led by Peer Educator Jay Galante, is occurring in the Dunlap Success Center room 2208 on Feb. 24 from 6 – 8 p.m.

Wednesday: “Mwen Latinx: A Conversation of Haitians as Latinx”

If you are interested in gaining a better understanding of anti-blackness in the Latinx diaspora, mark your calendars for “Mwen Latinx – A conversation of Haitians as Latinx.” The primary focus of this installation is to explore what it really means to identify as Latinx and to discuss the standards that they are pressured to fit into. You can participate in this dialogue, led by Peer Educator Karina Amalbert, on Feb. 26 from 6 – 8 p.m. in the Dunlap Success Center room 2202.

Thursday: “The Ethics of ‘Traveling Ethically'”

On Thursday, the topic to be addressed is the damaging effects of globalization. As students who work, study and travel abroad, we have an ethical responsibility to recognize the harmful impact our travels have both on the environment and the communities we visit. No previous international travel experience is necessary to participate in this presentation! Join in on this conversation, led by Peer Educator Paige Duskie, on Feb. 27 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in Dunlap Success Center room 2208.

Friday: “Presence.”

The fourth and final installation in G.O.O.D. week is an art exhibition titled “Presence.” By attending, you will have the opportunity to view photography aimed to celebrate the shared experiences of Black women. In addition, this event includes a documentary viewing and open dialogue centered around Black beauty standards. Witness the art show, led by Peer Educator Miles Feacher, on Feb. 28 from 7 – 9 p.m. This installation will be held off-campus, at the Plant located on Gaines Street.

You do not need to be previously educated about any of the social issues to partake in any of the events. Paige Duskie explained how, “on FSU’s campus, we are presented with a lot of difficult conversations that aren’t facilitated in any way. But this is an intentional space for faculty and students to start talking about hard-hitting topics that aren’t really talked about on-campus.” The Peer Educators’ mission is for students who have never engaged with the topics to have the chance to do so and leave inspired to make positive social change.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Riley Torrence (she/her) is a current senior at Florida State University studying Communications and Editing, Writing, and Media. She loves films, coffee, literature, new adventures, and her two cats! You can find her on Instagram at @rileytorrence.
Her Campus at Florida State University.