The highly anticipated 78th annual Golden Globe Awards took place over the weekend on Sunday, Feb. 28. Although things looked very different this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the awards continued to celebrate the extraordinary works and stunning performances of the past year’s entertainment media.

Due to COVID-19 safety precautions, the show was presented in a virtual format for the first time in its history. Amy Poehler and Tina Fey co-hosted the awards on opposite sides of the country. Poehler hosted the show from its usual location at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles while Fey hosted from inside Rockefeller Center’s Rainbow Room in New York City. All of the pair’s interactions were recorded live; each host appeared on one side of the viewer’s screen while simultaneously cracking jokes (notably about Netflix’s Emily in Paris, which did not win any awards) and introducing award presenters. 

Although presenters did appear in person either in the Los Angeles or New York locations, nominees joined the ceremony remotely via Zoom. This protocol was previously used in the 2020 Emmy Awards. However, unlike the Emmys, the Golden Globes did feature a live audience. The audience was completely composed of first responders and essential workers who wore face masks and sat at socially distanced tables. Learn more about the ceremony’s safety protocols here.

When the pandemic forced all entertainment productions to halt filming early last year, streaming services exponentially increased their already high popularity. Therefore, it’s no surprise that original shows and films produced by streaming services won the majority of this year’s awards. Netflix’s The Crown was the night’s big winner, taking home four of the most coveted categories, including Best Television Series (Drama). Newcomer Emma Corrin, who played Lady Diana Spencer, won her first Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series (Drama). Josh O’Connor, who portrayed Prince Charles in seasons three and four of The Crown, won his first Golden Globe alongside Corrin for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series (Drama).

The Queen's Gambit series poster
Netflix

The Queen’s Gambit, another Netflix original series that launched at the end of 2020, won two awards: Best Limited Series and Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series—awarded to Anya Taylor-Joy. The final season of the popular sitcom Schitt’s Creek did not sweep the Golden Globes like it swept the Emmys but still won two awards. 

Many notable works scored big wins in the film categories. Pixar’s Soul was awarded Best Animated Motion Picture and Best Original Score. Sacha Baron Cohen’s Borat Subsequent Moviefilm won Best Picture (Musical or Comedy) and Best Performance by an Actor in a Musical or Comedy. Simone Ledward Boseman accepted the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) on behalf of her husband, the late Chadwick Boseman, best known for his role as the titular hero in Marvel’s Black Panther. Chloe Zhao made history as the first Asian woman to win Best Director of a Motion Picture and is the second woman in the ceremony’s history to win the award. 

See the full list of 2021 winners.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Fabiana Beuses is a senior at Florida State University double majoring in Media/Communication Studies and English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FSU. She previously served as Her Campus' Summer 2023 Entertainment & Culture Intern and is currently a National Culture Writer, where she profiles celebrities and professionally fangirls over pop culture phenomena. When she's not polishing her latest article, you can find her browsing bookstore aisles, taste testing vanilla lattes around town, or rewatching the Harry Potter series for the millionth time.
Her Campus at Florida State University.