Style > Beauty

Her Picks: The Editors’ Guide to Fashion, Beauty, Music & More

Our editors here at Her Campus FSU have decided to create a bi-weekly column, Her Picks, sharing what we’re obsessed with at the moment. Every other week, our editors will let you in on their latest finds — whether it be a cool new beauty product, interesting restaurant or a band they can’t get enough of. Here are a few of our editors’ picks this week: 

Rachel Epstein, Editor-in-Chief

1. Taco Republik

Two words: must-try. If you haven’t been to this new Tallahassee staple, you’re missing out! I have never been a huge taco lover, but the tacqueria’s “Americano” and “El Bufalo” taco pretty much converted me into a taco enthusiast. Not to mention, it’s in the beautiful area of Thomasville Rd. You’ll be stuffing your face AND wondering whether you’re dreaming or still actually in Tallahassee. P.S. get the chips and queso – don’t even think twice. You’ll thank me later!

2. Un Reveur 

Over the summer, I had the incredible opportunity to work alongside BAZAAR’s Digital Fashion/Features Director Kerry Pieri. Aside from her effortlessly chic style, she always comes up with the most unique ideas for market research and shoots. What most people don’t know is she also has her own company, Un Reveur, where she prints original words and phrases on canvas. Though the artwork is priced a bit high for the average college student, Un Reveur’s Instagram has all of the beautiful quotes and sayings you need to get your inner artist fix. It’s my little Insta secret! 

Anjelica MacGregor, Social Media Director

1. Coconut Oil

Lately, I’ve used coconut oil like it’s going out of style. I’ve used it on my hair, my skin and cook with it. Seriously guys not only does coconut oil work wonders, but it smells amazing. The benefits of using the oil include a boost in metabolism, increase in energy and cooking with it makes your cravings substantially decrease. If you have really dry fizzy hair the oil will be your new best friend. Especially with this on and off cold/hot weather using coconut oil as a lotion will benefit that dry itchy skin while leave you glowing. Don’t believe me? Read about here

2. Teavana

I’m pretty obsessed with coffee and in an effort to get spring break ready, I made the switch from coffee to tea. In Tallahassee we aren’t fortunate enough to have Teavana near us, but Teavana can be ordered online. Teavana solely sells loose tea that you can buy by the ounces or pounds. From rejuvenate wellness tea to serenity wellness tea there’s a flavor for everyone. It tastes good and smells good. What’s not to love?

Courtesy: InHabitat

Kaylah Jackson, Events Director

1. House of Cards

I’m a little late on the House of Cards train and I actually tried watching it once before, but per a fervent recommendation from my friend I started once again and I am hooked! Fitting episodes in between work breaks and after class, I managed to finish the first three seasons in a week and the newest season came out last week, Friday. This political drama follows Francis Underwood (played by Kevin Spacey) and his wife Claire Underwood (played by Robin Wright) on their rise to power in the White House all the while this power couple simultaneously destroys anyone or anything that gets in their way, of course I don’t want to include any spoilers, but this gripping and unpredictable Netflix series will keep you on your toes and is definitely a must watch! 

Courtesy: Master Herald

2. Bomber Jackets

As my mother says, when it comes to fashion, “nothing is new, everything just repeats itself.” Either way, I am loving the way bomber jackets are making a comeback this year. I definitely remember sporting a very similar style during middle school thought I am positive mine only came in primary colors as well as a detachable fur hood.  This season the athletic and streetwear silhouette is still the same but popular in more natural tones and albeit the fake fur hood. I love to pair them with leggings or high-waisted jeans and my sneakers for an ultra cool yet laidback look! 

Courtesy: Harper’s BAZAAR

Amanda Burrows, Secretary

1. Gilmore Girls

Whether you’re Team Dean or Team Jess, if you haven’t started watching Gilmore Girls yet now is your chance! My roommate and I have been binge watching this series for the past month. Netflix has all seven seasons online to stream and I’m flying through each season. My goal is to finish before the revival is released this summer.

Courtesy: Glamour

2. Lace-up flats 

This trendy new shoe style has been popular since it first appeared in the fall, and now I’m looking forward to styling mine for the spring with cute flowy dresses and distressed denim jeans. You can find your own pair for cheap at Charlotte Russe and Old Navy!

Courtesy: PopSugar

3. First Aid Beauty

I’ve been trying out this new line of products for the past month now and I am loving them. From the Cleanser to the Oil-Free Mattifying Gel moisturizer, these products have left my skin feeling refreshed and clean. They are sold at Sephora and range in price but I suggest you ask for samples before you buy anything to test it out on your skin!

Courtesy: Alittlebitetc

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_