Circle picture with red dots over it and on a yellow background
Flannery Wickham

Helping One Student at a Time: Life Coaching Spotlight

Now we have all heard of this thing called “life coaching,” but what the heck even is that. A lot of people think some sort of school-sanctioned therapy, but I interviewed my life Coach: Flannery Wickham, who gave us the inside scoop on what it’s all about.

Her Campus (HC): The very important first question, what is life coaching?

Flannery Wickham (FW): College life coaches are dedicated to helping students get the most out of their college experience. Pre-selected students meet with a coach one-on-one twice per month, for the academic year. Each coach is committed to student development and success. Coaches work closely with academic advisors and other campus partners to support students in achieving their personal, academic  and professional goals.

HC: How are kids picked for the program?

FW: The College Life Coaching Center works with many groups of students; some of those groups include students who are freshmen from out of state, living off-campus, receiving grants and scholarships, and admitted in the spring semester. We also provide coaching to second-year CARE students. Based on the feedback from past students, these groups received the most out of our program. In addition, we just added walk-in hours (Wednesday from 1-4!) on the ground floor of WJB for any student who thinks they would benefit from coaching. Finally, if you’d like to apply to the program, we also have an application available on our website: https://advisingfirst.fsu.edu/college-life-coaching

HC: Does the program help with students coming in?

FW: College Life Coaching has positively impacted the retention of first-year students and CARE second-year students, college satisfaction, and GPA achievement.

HC: Do kids have to do anything for the program, ie. book work, submit assignments, etc.

FW: Nothing at all!

HC: What made you get into this career?

FW: A little over a year ago, I was living and working in DC in the environmental policy field. After about a year of working, I realized it wasn’t for me. I really wanted a career that had more one on one interaction, really helped other people, and was FUN. I was an RA in Wildwood hall for the 2014-2015 academic year, and that was the last time I really had fun while working. I could also consistently see a tangible impact I was making. So, I decided to pursue higher education/student affairs as a career, and lucky for me, FSU welcomed me back with open arms.

HC: What piece of advice do you think is important every kid know?

FW: There’s a time and a place for everything, and that time is college. Be kind to yourself, acknowledge the journey that got you here, and be fearless in the pursuit of your passion and purpose. You’re a human before you’re a student, employee, intern, researcher, etc. Take care of you!

HC: What is your favorite thing about life coaching?

FW: My favorite part about being a college life coach is showing up for my students and supporting them in any way I can. I am a firm believer that life is a lot less intimidating if we show up for one another, form relationships, and empower one another to be the best version of ourselves.

There you have it, the what’s what of life  coaching and how you yourself can be a part of it. So, go give them a try! It might be the best decision you make.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Kartika Ahern, I am a freshman studying Biomedical engineering. In my free time I love photography, swimming and going to Chipotle with my friends. Follow me on Insta! @lil.tika
Her Campus at Florida State University.