I’ll speak for myself, but we can agree that there’s a certain feeling you get when you receive a letter from a friend or loved one in the mail. It’s a feeling of butterflies and warmth to get something personally sent to you. Seeing your name written on the envelope and having a handwritten note waiting for you inside is something you can’t recreate. However, seeing as though we have the world at the click of a button, there’s no purpose for written postage to communicate. While I’m an advocate of sending a thoughtful text message to someone randomly, I think that letter writing is the ultimate “I’m thinking of you” gesture. A letter represents the time, consideration and labor that someone dedicated to you and romantic or not,   I call it literary chivalry!

The Timelessness of Letters

Whether it was a note from middle school, birthday card or a letter from grandma, I’m sure you’ve kept a note hanging around for some reason. There is something timeless about receiving a letter and it captures an exchange in time of a relationship. In fact, it totally immortalized the words that someone shared with you, so you can hold them forever. When I was inspired to write this article, my mom mentioned that she had kept all of her mother’s letters to her and it keeps her memory alive. Now letters don’t have to be written to preserve your legacy to others, but they can really touch someone. Given how simple it is to send a sweet text to someone and what it feels like to receive one, imagine knowing someone created a handwritten message to you, went out of their way to mail it, and wrote something for you to enjoy. It doesn’t get more thoughtful than that! When you send a message via letter, your message is framed by the effort and love put into getting it to your mailbox. 

red mailbox
Bundo Kim

Send Love During Quarantine

Now more than ever, we need to show support and love for others. While it’s important to share and update one another with important information digitally, making an extra effort to let someone know you care by sending them a note. Rant, share your feelings, your struggles, how you’re staying positive, your love or engage in a thoughtful discussion. Allow yourself to pour into a note or just tell someone you’re thinking of them. Whatever you choose to compose, I guarantee it will really brighten someone’s day. Not to mention, how romantic it is to send a letter to your S.O! I’m sure it’s difficult on couples who are divided right now, so let a letter serve as a romantic gesture. Quarantine has been tough on all of us in a lot of ways, so consider burning some time by writing and making time stop for someone else!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Isabella graduated in April 2021 from Florida State University, majoring in English (Editing, Writing, and Media). She is pursuing a career in digital advertising and public relations in the entertainment industry. When off duty, she can be found hanging with her two kitties, crafting her 1000th Spotify playlist, or sporting the town in search of the next great foodie spot. Check out her latest articles below!