The holiday season, for many, is the absolute most exciting time of year. It is a period marked by good cheer and joyous celebrations of having made it through another 365-day cycle. The movies, the music, the traditions and, of course, the seasonal snacks are the key components of what makes the holiday season as mystical and as magical as it is known to be.

However, if you are anything like me, you have a great appreciation for the holidays but you appreciate holiday fashion even more! I had been feverishly counting down the days until the start of the fall and winter season and now that it has finally arrived, the time is nearing to debut the looks I have curated in celebration of the season change. As I prepare myself for the many holiday parties and gatherings to come, I thought it would be a good idea to share these concepts with my #girlgang here at Her Campus! The outfit inspiration that I have drawn has come directly from runway trends ushered in by luxury fashion houses like Gucci, Chanel and Balenciaga who debuted their pre-fall and fall/winter collections early September at New York Fashion Week. These trends, I believe, are worthy of weaving into your next holiday look. 

The Micro Purse 

Courtesy: Moda Operandi

My personal favorite of all of the fall/winter trends was first introduced by Simon Porte Jacquemus on the Spring/Summer 2018 runway. His 3-inch top handle purse, the Le Sac Chiquito has since become a viral accessory and has inspired a multitude of other designers to follow suit. These impractical doll-sized purses which can fit nothing more than an AirPod charging case, though seemingly ridiculous, are a must-have for this season.  

The Corduroy Suit

Courtesy: Moda Operandi

The corduroy fabric has somehow managed to make its way back into the hearts and minds of luxury designers after its fall from grace in the 1970s – and I am completely here for it. Both high-end and low-end retailers everywhere are now pushing this old-time fabric but with a twist. The corduroy suit was spotted on runways belonging to designers such as Kate Spade and Margaret Howell as part of their ready-to-wear collections this season and I believe you ought to pick up a suit or two of your own. 

All Satin Everything 

Courtesy: House of CB

Satin is a material that I believe will stand the test of time. The Italian fashion house, Versace, revived their 1990s satin slip dresses this season and a multitude of designers including Virgil Abloh’s Off-White worked the fabric into their designs. The pieces that were created range from casual office-ready button-downs to sexy formal evening gowns alike. 

The 1980s

Courtesy: House of CB

I am a bonafide 90s baby, however, I can ‘like totally get down’ with the 80s inspired fashion trends showcased on the New York Fashion Week runways. From neon to shoulder pads to sparkles galore, according to Chanel, Balenciaga, Saint Laurent and a host of other luxury fashion designers, the 1980s are back – and with a vengeance!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Joelle Malika is a fourth year student at Florida State University studying English: Editing, Writing & Media with a passion for womxn's rights and social advocacy. When she isn't writing for HerCampus she is exploring her multitude of other interests which range from beauty and fashion to politics and activism. Instagram: @joelle.malika
Her Campus at Florida State University.