matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

HBO Has Dropped ‘Game of Thrones’ Prequel

After eight long seasons, fans were very divided at the ending of the show but many were still excited to see what the Game of Thrones cast and crew would be up to in the coming years. While there have been reports of many different ideas of prequel focused stories it seems that the show that was written by Jane Goldman has been scrapped by the network.

The sudden canceling of the show comes as a surprise since there had been rumors of it being put into action since before the original show had even ended and most were ready for filming to begin this summer. The show was supposed to be a focus on the first-ever battles with the White Walkers and had even begun filming the pilot episode during the early months of June and July. 

Courtesy: The Lily

This comes after a series of events such as George R.R. Martin taking to his blog and throwing out teases directed at Goldman. While explaining that he is somewhat involved in the untitled prequel that was coming up, he also makes sure to note that Goldman was the main creator and writer for the scripts: “but really, the accolades here should go to Jane. She has been an absolute thrill to work with… and my god, what a talent.” 

HBO president Casey Bloys did an interview with the Hollywood Reporter to discuss how there will not be a sequel to the series stating, “Nope, nope, nope. No. I don’t want to take characters from this world that they did beautifully and put them off into another world with someone else creating it. I want to let it be the artistic piece they’ve got,” which means rumors of the Arya Stark-focused sequel will not be in the future for GOT fans.

Courtesy: Giphy

But the interview which was from May 2019 showed that Bloys was very adamant about having the prequel that was coming, including two others. It comes as a great shock then that the show was suddenly scrapped from the network but when it came to the Networks impressions upon the pilot filmed by Goldman, The Hollywood Reporter claims that sources say HBO “wasn’t thrilled with the final cut of the Watts-led pilot and asked for changes in edits before scrapping the entire thing.” 

Fans of the global mega-hit Game of Thrones should not be too saddened by the loss of this prequel though. There are plenty of other works in the making and HBO is not one to let their fans go entirely unsatisfied. There are other prequels in the works such as House of the Dragon which is set to focus on House Targaryen and dates almost 300 years before the original series. 

Courtesy: Indie Wire

Casey Bloys comments, “The Game of Thrones universe is so rich with stories,” said HBO programming president Casey Bloys. “We look forward to exploring the origins of House Targaryen and the earlier days of Westeros along with Miguel, Ryan, and George.” 

This series has more involvement from Martin, so it is sure to follow the canon of the Game of Thrones universe as he sees fit. Hopefully, there will be plenty of events and plans in the future for the fans of Game of Thrones to enjoy beyond the original series.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Cali Robins, I am studying English with a focus on Literature and its connections with culture and our current media, at Florida State University with a minor in Anthropology. My goal at HerCampus FSU is to provide readers with an unbiased reading of the news and to highlight some of my own interests in hopes that my readers will get a taste of my authentic voice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.