Have You Met Doug Levinson? Of Course You Have

Say the name “Doug Levinson” and half the room will know exactly who he is. Whether in the Student Senate lobbying for the Executive Branch, serving in Pi Kappa Phi or on the news spreading awareness for his father, Doug is always looking for something new to get involved with.

Name: Doug Levinson

Age: 21

Hometown: Coral Springs, FL

Year: Junior

Major: Political Science and International Affairs with a concentration in Public Administration

Her Campus (HC): Let’s start with the basics. What’s your involvement on campus and in the city?

Doug Levinson (DL): I’m the current Student Government Association (SGA) Secretary of Departmental Affairs, a brother of Pi Kappa Phi (and their retired Vice President), involved with the Ignite party and Peer Mentor for Men Advocating for Responsible Conduct (M.A.R.C). I was Gamma Phi Beta’s sweetheart last year, a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon and worked at the Capital.

HC: What are your responsibilities as the SGA Secretary of Departmental Affairs?

DL: I lobby in the Student Senate for the Executive Branch. So every Wednesday when the Senate meets, I reach out to senators and try to get legislative bills sponsored and passed.

HC: How has your involvement with SGA shaped your FSU experience? Would you say it changed you as a person?

DL: 100%. When you get involved with SGA, you meet everyone from everywhere—who you know multiplies by the day and you start to realize how important networking with other people is.

HC: If you could fit one more thing into your schedule, what would it be and why?

DL: I wish I could get involved with Seminole Student Boosters; I would love to help out with our athletics.

HC: How do you balance SGA, Ignite Party, Pi Kapp and schoolwork?

DL: My days are very long, but I make sure to take a break for the night once 9 or 10 rolls around. I do everything in my power during the day to make sure I have fun at night. *Cue: I get by with a little bit of help from my friends.*

HC: What is your most memorable experience at Florida State so far?

DL: I’ve had a few. It’s hard to name just one. It’s cliché, but the national championship game is on there. It’s crazy that we can say we won a national championship while in college. That doesn’t happen every day. My 21st birthday (that I named after myself and threw for myself #maltz) was exciting. You can’t say you were thrown in the Westcott Fountain in a Santa outfit every day, either.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

DL: I would love to move to either Washington D.C. or New York. New York, preferably, because I have three siblings that live there and I’m super close with my family. My happiest days are when I’m with my brothers. I would love to work for a Congressman or a Washington Think Tank/Lobbying firm in DC, as well.

HC: What advice would you give to an incoming freshman looking to get involved in SGA?

DL: Honestly, don’t be lazy. 90% of being successful is just showing up—if you show up for anything, people will notice. Don’t be afraid to try; don’t be afraid to put in all the effort you can if it’s something you really want.

HC: Who do you look up to when it comes to your career goals? Where do you find inspiration?

DL: I just read 41: A Portrait of My Father, a book written by George W. Bush about his father, and was so inspired. If I landed any of the political positions he had, I would be so happy–and he’s done it all. Aside from George Bush, my dad has always been so inspirational to me. He served in the FBI for 22 years and was very renowned in his field.

HC: Many people have probably heard your dad’s name, Bob Levinson, on the news. For those who haven’t, can you explain his situation?

DL: He was kidnapped in Iran on March 9, 2007 while contracted by the US government. He is now the longest held hostage in American history.

HC: I couldn’t imagine having to go through something like that. How do you cope?

DL: Of course I think about my dad daily and how much I miss him, but I can’t think about his situation in depth every day and say, “Okay, this is the day dad’s coming home,” and then be disappointed every night when he doesn’t. I just wait until we get news on it or have another meeting to go to and have to think about it then.

HC: I can imagine having something like this happen to you affects your life and schoolwork.

DL: Yeah. Well, when it first happened 8 years ago, I was struggling with school and not getting good grades. My mom and brother sat me down and asked me what I was doing with my life and asked, “What if dad came home tomorrow? Do you think he’d be happy to see you failing?” After that, I grew up. Now I make sure I’m on top of my schoolwork to make sure he’ll be proud of me when he gets home.

HC: Your family is, as we’ve seen on the news, very involved in getting him home. What are some things you all do to help get him back?

DL: My mom goes to D.C. or New York frequently for meetings or conferences to make sure he’s not forgotten. Politicians have fallen in love with my family and will help all they can, but there’s only so much we can do when the two sides of the hostage situation don’t have friendly relations.

HC: What can we do to help or spread awareness?

DL: You can “like” and visit our Facebook page and stay tunedwe’re going to bring him home.

Fuled by caffeine passion, Danielle is a current English student at The Florida State University, a self-proclaimed fashion addict, and pig lover. Look for her name in the masthead of a glossy magazine one day (fingers crossed). Twitter: @danifontani  
Her Campus at Florida State University.