Harvey Weinstein Under Fire as Women Continue to Step Forward With Sexual Assault Allegations

This article does not represent the views of Her Campus.

An audition for actors entails presenting their lines to the director and his staff, in hopes of landing the part for the newest movie. For the women involved in the alleged sexual abuse by Harvey Weinstein, the auditions were orchestrated differently.

Courtesy: WordPress

Harvey Weinstein, 65, is a movie producer forced out of business following several allegations of rape, sexual harassment and awarding movie roles in return for sex. Weinstein’s age can infer he’s been allegedly sexually harassing women for years, but did anyone suspect it? So many actors and actresses rely on him for the Hollywood access. Many Hollywood A-listers feel guilty for not catching on to the rumors sooner. Actors like George Clooney, who has known Weinstein for 20 years, describes what he did as, “It’s indefensible. That’s the only word you can start with. Harvey’s admitted to it, and it’s indefensible.”

Leonardo DiCaprio said on Facebook, “There is no excuse for sexual harassment or sexual assault– no matter who you are and no matter what profession. I applaud the strength and courage of the women who came forward and made their voices heard.”

Courtesy: Buzzfeed

Actress and model, Cara Delevingne, stepped forward accusing Harvey Weinstein of inappropriate behavior when she took to Instagram to post a picture that read, “Don’t be ashamed of your story. It will inspire others”. Cara shares a past experience in her long caption (which you can read here), about Weinstein asking her over the phone if she was having sex with the woman she had been seen within the media–leading to Weinstein attempting to have a threesome in a hotel room with her and another woman several years later. Cara shares that she tried to leave before walking up to the hotel room with him, but his assistant told her that she might as well stay with Harvey since a car couldn’t be called for her.

The Internet became enraged. Celebrities and the online community took to social media to express their anger against Weinstein and their sadness for the women he targeted. Hollywood actress Sarah Hyland, from Modern Family, posted this picture on her Instagram:

Courtesy: Sarah Hyland

Cara’s bravery inspired more women to come forward. Once a woman tells her story, it creates a domino effect for other women to feel comfortable in sharing their own. As we wait for the number of women to grow, I can’t help but wonder where Harvey Weinstein is in all this. His assistant released this statement regarding Weinstein and his inability to further comment on the situation:

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex or only vocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women are refusing his advances.”

Although Weinstein wouldn’t comment on the situation at hand, he had no problem commenting back to Hollywood A-listers who spoke against Harvey: “And you know what? I’ve always been loyal to you guys, not like those f***ing pricks who treat you like s**t. I’ve been the good guy.”

Courtesy: Fashionista

While Hollywood evaluates the short and long-term effects of Harvey Weinstein’s lost empire, he gives the middle finger before heading to rehab in Arizona. Weinstein lost his family, business and is now the social pariah of Hollywood. His wife, Georgina Chapman of 10 years, left him and issued a statement on behalf of People magazine for all of the women allegedly victimized by her husband. It reads, “My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children as my first priority and I asked the media for privacy at this time.”

If you or someone you know has been pressured into doing something against their will, you can find support calling this number: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673). It’s not an easy thing to do, but talking to family members or friends you confided will relieve the pressure of going through it alone.

Some days my spirit animal is Leslie Knope. Other days, it's April.
Her Campus at Florida State University.