Just when it seemed impossible for the world to be more obsessed with Harry Styles, Vogue made the groundbreaking choice to make him the first solo male with an American cover. Harry Styles, the December 2020 cover star, is no stranger to breaking down barriers and being in the spotlight. Back in September, Styles teamed up with photographer Tyler Mitchell and Vogue to create a rural-glam photoshoot in London’s Hampstead Heath. 

Styles has always been one of the 21st-century pioneers in challenging fashion gender norms. Since his role as a co-chair for the 2019 Met Gala and his part as the face of the Gucci Memoire fragrance, he has made his mark in the fashion industry. For the December 2020 issue, Styles wore a custom, lace-trimmed dress crafted by Gucci’s creative director, Alessandro Michele. When talking to Vogue, Styles said, “I think if you get something that you feel amazing in, it’s like a superhero outfit. Clothes are there to have fun with and experiment with and play with.” He goes on to describe that associating gender roles with clothing is like putting up barriers, and when those barriers are there, it is just limiting to both fashion and life. 

Vogue Magazine Ljubljana, Slovenia
Photo by Content Pixie from Unsplash
Throughout his profile with Bowles, Styles talks about his experience in quarantine and how he was able to reinvent his life during this time. Starting his lockdown in California, Styles was able to connect with bandmates Mitch Rowland and Sarah Jones. He goes on to explain how great it was to quarantine with friends and that he would’ve been miserable if he was alone. The group had planned movie and dinner nights, and Styles was also able to reflect on life on his own through meditation and running. Through this time, he was able to discover parts of himself but also find what makes him happy outside of the fame and success. 

Aside from getting back on tour, which Styles has mentioned to be his favorite part of being a musician, he has also just started production for the new Olivia Wilde film Don’t Worry Darling. Wilde was able to speak on the singer’s behalf as to why he was the perfect fit for the film. Wilde explained that she was “blown away” by the commitment and openness in his previous acting role in the Christopher Nolan film, Dunkirk. Both Styles and Wilde have been fans of each other in their respective fields, so this pairing came very naturally and authentic. 

On the set of the Vogue photoshoot, Styles filmed an acoustic rendition of his hit song “Cherry” that is off his latest album Fine Line. The video takes viewers and fans behind the scenes of his shoot with Vogue while also getting a very intimate experience with this deeply personal song being sung in a new light. The montage includes clips from hair and makeup and candid moments on set with his sister Gemma Styles. And in true Styles fashion, he chose to end his performance of the song by saying, “Thank you, fashion.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Media/Communications Studies Major
Her Campus at Florida State University.