Hand Foot Mouth Disease Isn’t Just for Preschoolers Anymore

HFMD, a disease that seems to be taking over Florida State faster than Hurricane Hermine knocked out power, is currently sending girls to buy out the 5 for $5 section of hand sanitizer at Bath & Body Works and boys to have to cancel fraternity rush week events. But a simple Google search of HFMD will leave you with countless photos of little kids. So why is it spreading around a college campus?

HFMD, better known as Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, is caused by a virus. The disease is commonly found in children under the ages of five due to its ability to spread via hand-to-hand or hand-to-surface contact. For example, if someone who has the disease touches a doorknob and you touch it next, you could contract the disease. This is why it is so easy for young children to catch, and why it is easily spread on a college campus as well.

While the disease is obviously extremely contagious, it is not fatal. WebMD reports that symptoms usually begin as a cold or virus and then a rash can appear on the hands or feet a few days after the initial symptoms. Sores can also occur on other parts of the body and even inside the mouth, hence the term “Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.” In some extreme cases, people with the disease can lose their fingernails or toenails. The disease only lasts seven to ten days at most.

Regardless, HFMD has sent Florida State University students into a germaphobic frenzy, and for good reason. Not only was fraternity rush cancelled on Tuesday, but students have also been afraid to go out to clubs and bars because a few cases of the disease were rumored to have started there. The FSU Live Snapchat consists of students spraying their entire rooms with Lysol, using entire containers of Purrell, and wiping down tables and computer areas at the library. And yet again, FSU is making headlines, and even began trending on Facebook.  

One of the easiest ways to prevent contracting the disease is by keeping your immune system strong. The main reason that young children contract HFMD is because their immune systems are underdeveloped, so their bodies cannot fight off the infection. The best ways to keep your immune system strong are to get good sleep, eat a healthy and balanced diet, and avoid excessive drinking. FSU’s Lesley Sacher of the Health and Wellness Center advises students to regularly wash their hands with soap and water. The University is working hard to keep campus clean and disinfected, both residence halls and classrooms included.

Courtesy: Wikipedia

But just to be safe, it never hurts to Lysol again. And again. And again.

Claire Georgiadis is currently a sophomore at Florida State double-majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Communications. She is a Pilates instructor, avid health nut, as well as a dancer. You can find her at the nearest coffee shop, in a corner with a good book and an almond milk latte.
Her Campus at Florida State University.