Birthdays are special celebrations that remind us that we are getting older but also how far we’ve grown in the past year. On March 19, I will be 20-years-old and will no longer be considered a teenager. I love my birthdays, yet I had never thought of them as particularly special or important. However, this year feels different.

I look at 20 as a special year. A few days ago, I was in the mirror and I said to myself, “Dang girl, you’re going to be 20 in three weeks.” At that moment, I was filled with so many emotions. First, I feel truly blessed to be alive another year. I’m also excited to celebrate yet a little sad that some of the people I love aren’t here to celebrate with me. But mostly, I feel anxious as I don’t know what to expect.

Candles being lit on birthday cake
Photo by Aneta Pawlik on Unsplash
I’m a person who likes to plan things and I like for everything to be perfect. 

This is a new chapter that I will soon enter, and lots of things are going to happen. In my twenties, I will graduate college, move to a new city, start a career, buy a house, possibly get married and become a mother. These are all the things I’ve ever wanted and dreamed of, but it feels a little scary that everything I’ve dreamed of is going to come true and will all happen very soon.

I can’t help but think about how just 10 years ago I was only 10-years-old. I keep questioning if I’m ready for it all, and to be honest, no, I’m not ready. But I know it’s going to happen regardless if I’m ready or not. I came to the realization that we will spend more of our lives as an adult than we will as a child. So, I should not be afraid of growing up and entering adulthood. The unexpected is coming. This new chapter may seem scary at first, but new things always feel scary at first.

I think this will be an exciting time. I can’t wait to see what I will all accomplish in my twenties. I am slightly panicking. I don’t know what to expect. I’m not ready for everything that I will face in my twenties, but let’s be honest, who is? I wish I could rewind or hit the pause button because life seems as if it’s going by really fast. But that is why I want to make sure that I enjoy life. 

I want to laugh more, love myself more and embrace every moment including the good, the bad, the scary and embarrassing moments. I know I will make mistakes. I know everything won’t go as planned. But I won’t be alone as I will be surrounded by many 20-something-year-olds dealing with similar struggles. But I’m ready to face it all. I’m ready to create new experiences, travel around the world and make everlasting memories. So, cheers to 20.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Keira is a sophomore pursuing an Editing, Writing & Media degree with a minor in Media Communications. She loves fashion, traveling, and going for runs.
Her Campus at Florida State University.