McKenzie Harris Induction
McKenzie Harris Induction
Photo by Jack Clifford
Career

A Glimpse Into Sigma Tau Delta With VP McKenzie Harris

Florida State University has many honor societies in many different subjects and focuses. The Department of Biological Sciences sponsors Beta Beta Beta, while the college of Social Work sponsors Sigma Phi Omega and Phi Alpha, the latter of which was founded at FSU. Many of these chapters are led by student leaders who run the organizations by hosting events and providing members with opportunities through the individual chapters and the national organizations. With so many different societies in various subjects, it is important to note that English is no different. FSU’s English Department sponsors Sigma Tau Delta for English majors, minors or those who simply have an interest in English.

According to the national organization’s website, Sigma Tau Delta was “established in 1924 to confer distinction for high achievement in English language, literature and writing”. “Dedicated to fostering literacy and all aspects of the discipline of English, Sigma Tau Delta is a major honor society with over 900 chapters nationwide and abroad and the “second-largest member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS).” 

Induction Ceremony
Photo by Jack Clifford

Recently, I had the chance to sit down with McKenzie Harris, the Vice President and Social Media Coordinator of the Rho Epsilon chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. Holding two positions with this organization alone, Harris is quite a busy person. Aside from her involvement in the honor society, she is employed with the College of Arts and Sciences as well as Mieux Magazine and is currently a graduate student in the College of Communication and Information.

When she began pursuing her undergraduate degree here at FSU, Harris was initially an Exercise Physiology major. That was until she took an English course taught by doctoral candidate and Membership Liaison of FSU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, Oluwafunke B. Ogunya. It was during that semester that Ogunya complimented Harris’s writing skills and encouraged her to pursue her talents by joining the English Major. That encouragement ultimately led to Harris changing her major to English with a specialization in Editing, Writing and Media the following semester. Ogunya’s influence impacted the course of Harris’s life for the better, as it encouraged her to follow her interests and passion. Now, several years later, the two serve together on the executive board for the chapter. 

Once she was enrolled in the major her next goal was to become more involved: “I wanted to get the most out of my time in the English Department,” Harris said. That’s why she joined Sigma Tau Delta. “Every major has its clubs and their honor societies. I wanted to be involved in that way” She elaborated, “When I saw the application in the advising office, I thought it was worth applying since I enjoy English and writing so much.” In addition to pursuing her passion, she thought that being a member of such an honorable organization would help her in the future and was right. She has enjoyed her time being involved in Sigma Tau Delta, especially because it has also assisted her in applying for various opportunities. Harris believes that her involvement in the organization aided her in getting into graduate school. She stated, “Being an executive member, or even a regular member, of a prestigious international organization is noteworthy.”

group of people throwing up graduation caps
Photo by Vasily Koloda on Unsplash

When asked what she wanted members to be aware of, Harris had three pieces of information to share: “You don’t have to be an English major. You’re a member for life once you’re a member.” She paused and thought for a moment: “It’s a very welcoming and inclusive environment for however you enjoy English, whichever medium that is, whether it be plays, poetry, fantasy novels, nonfiction essays or short stories.” She continued, “If you appreciate English, there’s a place here for you.” She went on to say that as lovers of English and the various mediums it encompasses, Sigma Tau Delta is a place where “you’ll fit in even if you don’t fit in elsewhere.”

As Vice President of Sigma Tau Delta Harris’s responsibilities include helping organize events and meetings. Her favorite memories of the organization include moments when she is able “to reach out to the greater Tallahassee community.” In the Fall of 2019, Harris worked with chapter President and doctoral candidate Kristy Cherry-Randle and Membership Liaison Oluwafunke B. Ogunya to plan an Essay Workshop at Chiles High School here in Tallahassee. “We set up a few hours for the seniors to come in and workshop their college admission essays,” Harris explained. “We gave them general pointers and edits, but we mostly aimed to tailor their admissions essays to their own stories.” The idea behind the workshop was to provide the students with the kind of workshop and tutoring they lack, as Chiles High School is in the poorest zip code in the state.

Social Media is another component of what Harris does for the Rho Epsilon chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. She has just recently started Twitter and Instagram accounts for the organization, which she runs along with the Facebook page. Harris is not new to running a professional social media account. It was she who first started FSU’s College of Arts and Sciences Instagram Page, which has amassed over 1,000 followers in the short amount of time it has been up thanks to the help from her social media-savvy coworker Amy Robinson. “My goal for Sigma Tau Delta’s social media is to get it circulating as much as possible. I don’t want it to be the typical organization page; I want it to be fun and interactive while still being professional!” Harris said.

Aside from her studies, and involvement in Sigma Tau Delta and the College of Arts and Sciences, Harris is a writer for Mieux Magazine, a publication specializing in Florida-based creative efforts, including music, visual arts, local businesses and more. While she was pursuing her undergraduate degree in English, Harris applied for and received a position in music writing for the magazine. She states that one of her proudest achievements was attending the Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival as a writer and interviewer for the bands and artists that were in attendance. “Stepping into a press tent for the first time was so surreal, and being able to spend time chatting with musicians that I like was just the best experience.” Among the bands she interviewed were The Aces, a girl group who have over one million monthly listeners on Spotify. Harris prides herself in her ability to write scientifically and artistically: “I’m proud of the fact that I can write an article on a nuclear physics lab or an anthropological research fellowship and then turn around and write an article on up-and-coming rappers from South Florida,” she said.

McKenzie and Appa
Photo by McKenzie Harris

With Harris so busy, I was curious to know what she does in her free time when she’s not studying, working, writing or posting on social media. “I love dancing. I do all sorts of dancing,” she said. On top of that, Harris enjoys spending time with her dog, Appa, cooking and playing video games. Some of her favorites include Pokémon, Legend of Zelda, Spyro and Animal Crossing. She spent lots of time this past summer doing these activities, given that she was waiting to hear if she had been accepted to graduate school, which of course, she was.

When asked if there was anything she wanted to add, Harris made certain to emphasize that “Sigma Tau Delta is welcoming and inclusive. It doesn’t matter if you’re an English major or if you just like English and received good grades in your classes.” She continued, “We would love to have you join!” Harris describes the organization and its current members as fun and open-minded. If Sigma Tau Delta seems like something you would enjoy, Harris encourages you to apply. It is a positive environment where, as Harris puts it, “We just want to spread the joy of English and stay connected during these tumultuous times.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.