On Saturday, March 24, 2018, students from Florida State University, Florida A&M University and Tallahassee Community College will come together to say “thank you” to the surrounding Tallahassee community. The Big Event is the largest, one-day, student-run service project in Tallahassee, with two thousand volunteers and one hundred service sites.  As an organization, The Big Event encourages students to give back to their community while promoting participation in year-round service. Through service-based projects, The Big Event aims to unite the local community and express gratitude for its continuous support.

“The thing I love most about The Big Event is how powerful it is. The event not only provides a noticeable impact on the community, but it also encourages students to take the positive energy generated from working alongside 2,000+ volunteers and use it to help others throughout the year,”  explained Alex Rose, Executive Director of The Big Event Tallahassee.

On event day, after a kickoff ceremony in the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center, volunteers will travel to various sites throughout Tallahassee to partake in service-orientated activities.  Sites and activities include, but are not limited to park clean-ups, painting, senior home assistance and food pantry packaging.

The Big Event is a way for students and organizations to get involved with their community, genuinely help others, gain service hours and learn about future service opportunities. The collective efforts of volunteers generate $90,000 worth of service to nonprofit organizations and Tallahassee residents in need of helping hands.

Volunteer registration is currently open, and The Big Event welcomes all students from FSU, FAMU, and TCC to join. Volunteers can register as either individual participants or sign up as a team with their friends. Be sure to register soon, as it closes March 9.  

For more information about The Big Event, its impact and ways to get involved, visit The Big Event’s website or stop by their table at Market Wednesday.

All photos courtesy of The Big Event Tallahassee.

Her Campus at Florida State University.