Get Folky at the Fairweather Folk Festival

Come on out to the All Saints Hop Yard on Saturday, February 28th, from 2pm-2am, to experience the Fairweather Folk Festival!  This is the perfect day-long event for all of you music-loving collegiettes! Grab some friends, and Hop Yard will provide the rest: great beer and even better music.

Source: allsaintshopyard.com

For the past four years, the mission of the folks behind the Hop Yard has been to create an outdoor field-party atmosphere in the midst of this bustling city. The open-air venue is distinguished by its neighborly feel, incredible live music, and last — but certainly not least — by its delicious craft beer.

Built over 70 years ago, the Hop Yard has a rich history. The Hop Yard’s unique atmosphere is due in large part to the building’s history. Back in the day, the All Saints district was at the center of Tallahassee’s commerce, with the railroad being a destination for all merchants and farmers in the area. The building was originally the Coca-Cola distribution facility for the region, trademarks from the company still adorning the structure today. Over time, however, the building was neglected and became decrepit. The walls of the venue still feature much of the street art that was created on its walls throughout the past few decades.

A few years ago, the founders of the Hop Yard took the old building on as a project, hoping to infuse it with new life. And that they did! In the last four years, the Hop Yard has been home to all sorts of musical and visual performances (and food trucks)!

Source: fameintally.com

But here’s the thing. While the Hop Yard has been an artistic haven for so many of Tallahassee’s own, it will unfortunately be closing after this final musical festival. The founders have chosen to pursue new creative ventures, and have decided to end the Hop Yard’s successful run with this final musical celebration. They are going out with a bang!

The Fairweather Folk Festival will be the perfect opportunity for all of you music and culture-loving collegiettes to come out and bid farewell to this incredible venue. If you know and love the Hop Yard, this will be a bittersweet goodbye. If you’ve never been, you will not want to miss this chance to experience this wonderful environment.

The Festival will be featuring tons of local folk musicians. I am always astounded at how much talent is living right here in our city! Local favorites such as The New 76ers and the Sarah Mac Band will be performing as well as six other groups (see below for a list of bands and performance times). 

While all of the bands can be said to fall under the folk umbrella, each has their own individual feel. The Sarah Mac Band is soulful and rich. Two Foot Level is more bluegrass, with a whole lot of twang. The New 76ers are little bit of both. This festival has something for everyone, and every single band is incredibly talented.

This festival will undoubtedly make for a fun Saturday afternoon and evening. Take a break from your usual Saturday hotspot and check out the Hop Yard. You can dance, drink, and enjoy all of the music and life that Tally has to offer. We hope to see you there, Collegiettes!

Source: youtube.com

Additional Information:

Tickets: $15 day pass, $7 student day pass

Location: All Saints Hop Yard: 453 All Saints Street, Tallahassee FL

Time: 2pm-2am

Performance Schedule:

3:00-4:00pm : Two Foot Level

4:15-5:00pm: Acoustic Messengers

5:20-6:15pm: Little Mystic

6:45-7:45pm: Human Progress

8:30-9:30pm: Sarah Mac Band

9:45-11:00pm: The New 76ers

11:15pm-12:15am: Nook and Cranny

12:30-1:30am: the Train Wrecks

Morgan is currently a junior in the Editing, Writing, and Media program. Her interests include Kraft macaroni and cheese, cats, overpriced candles, Icelandic ambient music, tattoos, cherry coke, and short lists. Her true aspiration is to become an international pop sensation, but, due to her complete lack of musical ability, a life as a professional writer will have to do.
Her Campus at Florida State University.