Gerrit Vanlent: Advocate for Children

Her Campus (HC): To start with, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Gerrit VanLent (GVL): I grew up in Key Largo, at the top of the Keys Island chain. I swam on the swim team year round and was involved in tennis, soccer, and baseball. Growing up I was interested in social studies, government, politics, and keeping up to date with world news. I still have all of the newspapers saved from the beginning of the Iraq War in my closet and home; I read them all at a young age, that’s how interested I was. I was eager to come to Tallahassee and get involved with state politics. I knew that was where the action is! It’s also where I got my job and Fellowship with The Children’s Campaign.

HC: What is The Children’s Campaign?

GVL: The Children’s Campaign is a non-profit 501c3 organization that advocates and informs the community and government officials about the issues that face Florida’s most vulnerable children such as child and maternal health, child welfare and foster care, after school care, Pre-K quality, and Juvenile Justice. The Children’s Campaign is supported by the Practical Apprenticeship Center, where young professionals can gain on the job experience in communications, web development, social media, IT, and public policy.

HC: How did you get involved?

GVL: I got involved with the Children’s Campaign as a public policy apprentice of the Practical Apprenticeship Center. When I started, it was just me and one other person. I really enjoyed going to the Capitol and seeing how government served me first hand. I loved the mix of satisfaction and frustration that I felt as I heard the differing opinions of the citizens, representatives, and senators. 2 years later, I am now the Public Policy Julius Maude Miller Scholarship Fellow, I coordinate the legislative efforts of The Children’s Campaign and its sister company, Voices For Florida. Also I manage a team of Public Policy Apprentices in day-to-day work. We do research for organizations who contract with us, such as Mental Health America of Northeast Florida.

HC: Why did you get involved?

GVL:  I thought I needed an internship. But then, it turned out to be much more than that. I began to feel rewarded and happy. I began talking to important people and shaking hand of Lobbyists and Legislators and speak publically and in important meetings. Now I want to get involved because I genuinely like working on behalf of Florida’s children and sex trafficking victims.

HC: What does the Fellowship mean to you?

GVL: I consider myself lucky to have such an opportunity. The Fellowship is also an opportunity to prove myself as a worker, because it comes with enhanced responsibly. The Fellowship has certainly led me to a brighter future, I feel ready for the workforce and I have a good idea of what I want to do. Eventually, I either want to work as a legislative staffer, a lobbyist, or work public policy for a non-profit. Either way, I plan on being civically involved at the state level.

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.