No, the title is not deceiving you. Generation Z and millennials are at a rift once again and it’s kind of entertaining. It seems like both generations are constantly at war with each other, but I’d like to clear up the air a little.

There are so many differentiating studies that explain who is associated with what generation, but most have come to a consensus regarding the age ranges for both generations. Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 are considered millennials while those born from 1997 to 2010 are considered Generation Z. Despite the wide age ranges, both generations have many similarities, yet are still so different.

According to Generation Z, millennials are stereotyped as Facebook-loving adults who like Harry Potter, complete Buzzfeed quizzes on the regular and are obsessed with the laugh “cry” emoji. While in the eyes of millennials, Generation Z is seen as technology obsessed people who grew up with social media, have a short attention span and participate in the most ridiculous challenges (we can never catch a break from the dark era of tide pods). Keep in mind, these are all stereotypes! If you love partaking in these activities, then great!

woman filming vertical video of woman throwing confetti
Photo by Amanda Vick from Unsplash

Now here’s some context: I’m a Generation Z baby while my older sister is a full-fledged millennial, so I believe that I can speak on the supposed “beef” between our generations. Although my parents had us nine years apart, my sister and I still grew up in the same household. For the most part, we still watched the same shows and surrounded ourselves with the same music. She may have more knowledge about certain topics relating to the past but apart from that, our childhood experiences were still similar. I often inform her on the latest challenges and dances that I stumble upon on social media, while she helps me remember throwbacks to the 90s and early 2000s.

I will admit that I do enjoy teasing millennials, especially my sister, about how everything they’re doing is so out of style and they need to keep up with trends. Recently sparked by TikTok, some users of Generation Z poked fun at millennials. For example, millennials were confused when they found out we “cancelled” skinny jeans and no longer found side parted hair cool. It was hilarious to see my sister come up to me in confusion as to why my generation is deeming things she once religiously wore as not trendy anymore. I had to assure her that we were just having some fun and that millennials should not let some teenagers and college students dictate how they live their lives.

a gif of man saying \"millennials, am I right?\" at a party
Blindspot / GIPHY
I truly empathize for the late 90s babies who are in the middle of the mark in both generations since they can never understand which side they truly belong to. They are in tune with everything that’s trending currently, while also being able to reminisce in nostalgia about the last decade of the 20th century.

At the end of the day, this is all lighthearted fun. There’s no need for all of this discourse. We’re all just having fun, right?

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Darline is a senior majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Editing, Writing, and Media. Although she's a Fort Lauderdale native, she's still a Caribbean by heart. Essentially, she is a boyband enthusiast that spends too much time reading on Archive of Our Own, listening to Hip-Hop/R&B and watching Netflix.
Her Campus at Florida State University.